Water changes and replacing filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeybabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Two questions: Should I replace old filters with brand new ones? I read it's bad to do that and you should never have to replace the filter. Is the best thing to really rinse the filter in the same water from your tank to keep the beneficial bacteria and lessen the chance of a mini cycle? Secondly, I ordered a 25ft aqueon water changer that supposedly pumps water from the faucet into the tank... Isn't that bad? Does it matter when you add the tap water conditioner? Either before or after? Any tips for water changes for my 2 tanks (30 and 55 gallon) Thx guys

Ok, it's not the actual filter that matters, it's the filter media. You use the filter media until it's falling apart. You rinse it in some old tank water when it gets dirty. when it is falling apart, you put it behind the old media for a month or so and then take the old media out. As for the changer, you take out the water you need, then you treat the whole tank with water conditioner, match the temp. As close as you can With your hand, and fill.

mikeybabs said:
Two questions: Should I replace old filters with brand new ones? I read it's bad to do that and you should never have to replace the filter. Is the best thing to really rinse the filter in the same water from your tank to keep the beneficial bacteria and lessen the chance of a mini cycle? Secondly, I ordered a 25ft aqueon water changer that supposedly pumps water from the faucet into the tank... Isn't that bad? Does it matter when you add the tap water conditioner? Either before or after? Any tips for water changes for my 2 tanks (30 and 55 gallon) Thx guys

1st no if you can help it never replace if you want a better filter just add it to the tank and run both at the same time and once it is established you can then remove the old one but i wouldn't more the better to be honest and we will all tell you the same here
As for the conditioner it is best to do the water before it goes in the tank but its not that much of a problem if you carnt i have done both before now the main thing is that it gets into your tank

Homedog98 said:
Ok, it's not the actual filter that matters, it's the filter media. You use the filter media until it's falling apart. You rinse it in some old tank water when it gets dirty. when it is falling apart, you put it behind the old media for a month or so and then take the old media out. As for the changer, you take out the water you need, then you treat the whole tank with water conditioner, match the temp. As close as you can With your hand, and fill.

+1 homedog you covered what i didnt lol

Thank you for confirming the answers. I figured it would be best to add in the conditioner before hand however I don't really have a choice if I'm using a water changer pump like the aqueon water changer attached to my sink? Doesn't it go straight from the sink to the tank? I haven't received it yet. Thanks guys.

mikeybabs said:
Thank you for confirming the answers. I figured it would be best to add in the conditioner before hand however I don't really have a choice if I'm using a water changer pump like the aqueon water changer attached to my sink? Doesn't it go straight from the sink to the tank? I haven't received it yet. Thanks guys.

I have never used one but i think it does (a posh hose) by the looks lol so as the tank fills just add the conditioner add it will be fine

Back
Top Bottom