Water changes to often?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've only had my 2.5 gallon for about 2 weeks. I do 50% water changes each day to keep my ammonia down, it is .50 ppm. Everything else is fine. Should I keep up with the water changes or could I not do as many.

BTW there is platy and Molly fry in they along with 2 baby albino catfish. So it already has live stock in it.

I think you're overstocked for that size tank. Keep doing those frequent water changes, and with it at .50 with fry, you might wanna do one or two more to get it down more.

Yes in a tad overstocked. There is 23 fry to be exact and the two albino catfish. I am upgrading them to a 10 gal soon. Ill keep up with the water changes! Thanks!

:eek: You are going to need AT LEAST 40 gallons for all those fish! Ten gallons will only suffice for 2-3 platies when they are full grown.

:eek: You are going to need AT LEAST 40 gallons for all those fish! Ten gallons will only suffice for 2-3 platies when they are full grown.

I'm not keep them all, my lfs pays me .50 each once their 1in. I'm either getting a 10-20 gal to put them in once they get a little bigger, and I have an established 26 gal with a little room to add some if I have to, I will be rehoming a few of my black skirt tetras to make room.

I was just concerned that my beneficial bacteria wasn't growing since I was changing the water so often?

I'm not keep them all, my lfs pays me .50 each once their 1in. I'm either getting a 10-20 gal to put them in once they get a little bigger, and I have an established 26 gal with a little room to add some if I have to, I will be rehoming a few of my black skirt tetras to make room.

I was just concerned that my beneficial bacteria wasn't growing since I was changing the water so often?

While my ten cycled, I would do 90% daily sometimes. Your bacteria will be fine.

I'm guessing it is only a grow out tank. 10g should be fine. Mollies can be found in FW through to brackish and even in full marine. Mollies in FW tanks usually do just fine.
OP may I ask why you have the bristlenose catfish in there? They will be adding significant amounts if waste making it harder to keep ammonia down.

I'm guessing it is only a grow out tank. 10g should be fine. Mollies can be found in FW through to brackish and even in full marine. Mollies in FW tanks usually do just fine.
OP may I ask why you have the bristlenose catfish in there? They will be adding significant amounts if waste making it harder to keep ammonia down.

Yeah, it's a growing tank, I might put a few live plants in there with a snail or catfish along with the fry, and ill also keep some fry in the 2.5 gal. Maybe the small newborns in the 2.5 an the couple month olds in the 10 gal? Would that work? And it's a baby albino catfish, they are very small. I have them in the 2.5 because my filter is not very strong and they eat all the extra food the fry doesn't it since they still aren't eating a whole lot. Could they be causing the semi high ammonia? It's only at .50 ppm

You need to get those catfish out. They have a lot of bio load. Even with daily water changes. It can't be healthy for them.

You need to get those catfish out. They have a lot of bio load. Even with daily water changes. It can't be healthy for them.

The catfish are still young to though? And I'm afraid to put the little guys in my community cause I have a few semi-aggressive fish in there.

Sorry, didn't see the part about them being tiny. I would say until they are about an inch and a half

Depending on your ph, anything over .25 is toxic and more toxic the higher your ph above 7 and less as your ph goes under 7.

Let your Ammonia levels tell you when you need a water change...

I thought you where talking about larger/ older fish. They are usually pretty good at hiding when they are young but if you feel uncomfortable adding them then that's fine. You really need to get that 10g ASAP. A cheaper option is a large plastic storage tub. As said the ammonia really isn't good for them. Fry are especially sensitive.

Depending on your ph, anything over .25 is toxic and more toxic the higher your ph above 7 and less as your ph goes under 7.

Let your Ammonia levels tell you when you need a water change...

My ph is 7.2 and my ammonia has been at a steady .50 ppm for 3 days. I do 50% changes each day.

Sorry, didn't see the part about them being tiny. I would say until they are about an inch and a half

There's about 1/2 inch right now. Ill make sure to take them out once they're that big ! :)

I thought you where talking about larger/ older fish. They are usually pretty good at hiding when they are young but if you feel uncomfortable adding them then that's fine. You really need to get that 10g ASAP. A cheaper option is a large plastic storage tub. As said the ammonia really isn't good for them. Fry are especially sensitive.

Il hopefully be getting the 10 gal tomorrow or over the weekend, but its still gonna take a little while to cycle. What's the average amount of time for a tank to cycle? And I also have 3 pregnant fish at the moment to so I plan on keeping the fry in the 2.5 until the 3 have all their fry then ill move all the newborn fry into the 2.5 and the older fry into the 10 gal and ill put my 2 platys and guppy back into my community tank. How does that plan sound ?

What exactly is "brackish" I've never quite understood what it is?

Brackish Water is where a freshwater river merges in with SW. So it's right in the middle of fresh and salt.

Mumma is right, although Mollies tend to live the longest in Brackish.

Back
Top Bottom