Water changes using a gravel vacuum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lauderdale45

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I do a partial water change I have been using seachem prime to pretreat the water before putting in the tank. Wouldn't really call it pretreating I just use 2 containers put a few drops in a container fill and while I dump one container I fill the second container. I just keep repeating until finished. This can take a while on my 100 gallon fw tank and is quit messy. Now my question.
I just purchased a vacume that hooks to your sink to use for removing water and can then reverse it to fill. My question is if I add enough prime to replace the water I removed from the tank and then fill the tank strait from my sink using the vacume will this be safe for my fish and the bacteria . Forgot to mention I'm about 2 weeks into cycling this new tank.

While you are cycling, I would recommend that you treat the entire tank volume. Once you are cycled, if you do say a 50% water change, treat with Prime for 50% of the tank volume.

When we do water changes using our vac, we dump the Prime into the tank directly as we're putting the new water in.

I was also wondering if I could actually harm the tank by using to much of the prime. Also is it ok to use one of the products for removing ammonia from the tank while it is cycling? What product would you recommend for lowering the ammonia.

Why would you want to remove ammonia while cycling? Call me ignorant but isn't the point of cycling meant to be to encourage ammonia 'eating' bacteria, so removing the ammonia would harm or stall the cycling process? How much ammonia is the test reading? Are you doing a fishless cycle?

No there are fish in there that's why I would want to keep ammonia at a safe level I have not let it get above .5 average has been .25

Lauderdale45 said:
No there are fish in there that's why I would want to keep ammonia at a safe level I have not let it get above .5 average has been .25

Ok cool, sorry I thought it would be the case, I had to ask for my own curiosity.

Never use something in a bottle to remove ammonia. That's what water changes are for. :D

Great thanks! You guys are awesome! I love this site everyone is friendly and really eager to help and respond quickly.

Back
Top Bottom