Water changing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank's water has evaporated a good amount and I need to do a partial water change anyways, but Im not sure how to go about doing it.

I have a sample packet of Aqua Safe to put in my tap water but I have to use so much per ten gallons. I don't have a big bucket to put ten gallons in to mix the aqua safe but I dont have enough aqua safe to put in my 29 gal. (3 ten gallons worth)

Does that make sense?

Can i just put in the new 10 gal of water in my 29 gal and only put enough Aqua Safe to de-chlorinate those 10 gals of tap water? or do I have to put the aqua safe with the new 10 gal by itself?

This is so difficult to explain.

I think I understand what you're asking and where your confusion is coming from; lemme see if I can help.

First off, when treating water to be added, only the new fresh water needs to be treated. So if you are changing 5 gallons, you only need enough dechlor for 5 gallons, even if the tank is a 10g tank.

Secondly, you really don't have to mix the dechlor prior to adding it to the tank. I use a Python, and I add the dechlor while the water is going into the tank, not before. They all work instantly, so it really doesn't present a problem for the fish or the good bacteria if the water isn't treated before being added.

Lastly, its near impossible to overdose on dechlor, as long as thats all it does (this doesn't apply to water treatments which also claim to help with the fish's slime coat, as they have other additives that can gunk up a tank).

Great advice.

I also like to keep a small container of about 1 gallon or so (I have small tanks) mixed and tucked away. Then during the week I use it to top off any evaporation, with my water change coming on the weekend.

I would also recommend looking into a chemical that helps with the nitrogen cycle. That helps keep your tank healthy.

Back
Top Bottom