Water Changing - Remove Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
My boyfriend and I are pretty new at this aquarium deal. We are currently in a debate on whether or not we have to take the fish out when we vacuum the water. Do we need to take them out? Should we take them out? We have a 46 gallon community aquarium. Thanks!

You shouldn't have to take them out. Move the cleaner around slowly and take care not to suck any fish up.

No, leave them in. If you go chasing them around with a net you run the risk of extremely stressing them and possible injuring them.

Normally, you should only be changing 25% of the water, max, at any one time so they will have more than enough water in the tank when doing the water change. They will be a little scared when you are doing the cleaning, but they will go back to normal in an hour or so.

Ok, we just finished a 25% change and a vacuuming. We didn't remove the fish and they seem to be fine. Thanks!!

I also turn my tank light off after the w/c so as to give the fish a little quiet time to recover :wink:

Louise

That's a good idea, I will try that next time. Also, for the record, I (the woman of the relationship) was right. :lol:

Do not, do not, do not, remove the fish. Only under drastic situations would I ever recommend removing a fish from the tank (ie: moving the tank, cracked tank, new cycled home). You can seriously stress the fish and cause death.

I also leave the lights on after a water change. I have them all on timers and leave that cycle alone. I think it is important to have a constant light schedule.

If you've got questions, post away, and welcome.

Back
Top Bottom