Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Pleco Send a message via Yahoo to Pleco
Water Conditioner Question

Is there a difference between the top tier brands? I need more water conditioner and i am debating sticking with Tetra AquaSafe, or giving Prime a shot. Both of them claim to do the same sorts of conditioning to the water, but the dosage for Prime seems a lot smaller by volume than AquaSafe. I am usually a little paranoid of changing brands on anything but i wanted to know if there was a difference between the two and if so which one is better for the fish? They are both similarly priced so that isnt part of my equation. Is this just brand preference or is there a definable difference between the products?

Thanks
-Pleco

Old 09-21-2006, 05:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Prime all the way! it is much more concentrated so you will save $ in the long haul. Plus it can do a lot more than just dechlor your water, detoxifies ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Pleco Send a message via Yahoo to Pleco
I know i used to do double dosages with AquaSafe, so the cap was for every 20 gallons, every change i would do 4 capfulls (i have a 40 gallon tank). With prime am i ok with just the 1 capfull (i believe a capfull is 50 gallons) or do i need to up the dosage like with AquaSafe?

This site is great, thanks for all the advice

-Pleco
Old 09-21-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Depends on how you do water changes. .1 ml per gallon is what prime works out to.

If doing water changes via a python, the general consensus is to do enough for the whole tank. If you do it via bucket then you can put in enough to cover the bucket and then dump the bucket into the tank.

Tags
condition, water condition, water conditioner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com