Water conditioners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been using the Jungle brand Start Right for years and had no issues at all. Water stays crystal clear. Recently, API Stress Coat+ was on sale and I got a bottle. Now both tanks I've used it on are cloudy and won't clear up even with water changes. Could it be the Stress Coat? I just did a change on one of the tanks and used the Jungle brand in hopes that it will clear up.

The worst tank, and the one I just did a water change on is 15 gallons. Six platies and one small pleco. Three of the platies are still very small...babies. The other tank is 30 gallons with two platies, four swordtails, two colombian tetras and a small pleco.

This is a guess, but I do imagine that the API Stress Coat is the culprit. I am guessing that the new conditioner sparked a bacterial bloom in the tank. Harmless, just not appealing visually.
Have you done param tests on the tank to make sure everything is in order?

I have not as of yet. I plan to do it today. I ended up changing the 30 gallon last night too. They were due for a water change anyway. Thank you!

I would test to make sure the water int he tank is normal and that is not the problem.

I have always used Stress Coat with no problems but I have never switched to a new brand - and now I know I won't. It may be that the two brands don't like each other and have caused the cloudy water by mixing. It might not clear up until you dilute the stress coat. You may have to do several water changes to get the stress coat out of the tank.

Thanks! I did a water test and the water is fine. just cloudy still. Not as bad though. Would it be to soon to do another water change? I usually do it every 2 to 3 weeks. But it's only been 2 days.

If the tests are fine, I wouldn't worry about the cloudy part. It is likely just a bacterial bloom from you adding a new substance to the tank. I had a tank get a bit cloudy when I switched from one water conditioner to another with stress coat stuff in it. It was a very slight change, but it did happen. It cleared up though. They were different brands than the ones you have used, but I am guessing it is the same issue.
Do the fish act stressed or anything? Bacterial blooms that cloud the water are harmless to fish. If there was a different issue at play, the fish should be showing signs of stress.

If the tests are fine, I wouldn't worry about the cloudy part. It is likely just a bacterial bloom from you adding a new substance to the tank. I had a tank get a bit cloudy when I switched from one water conditioner to another with stress coat stuff in it. It was a very slight change, but it did happen. It cleared up though. They were different brands than the ones you have used, but I am guessing it is the same issue.
Do the fish act stressed or anything? Bacterial blooms that cloud the water are harmless to fish. If there was a different issue at play, the fish should be showing signs of stress.
Thank you very much. The fish are fine and behaving normally. I ended up not doing a water change yesterday and the tanks look a little clearer today. I'm thinking I will take your advice and just stick to my normal routine and see how it goes. I appreciate all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom