water discoloration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoodla dollas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i like how my tank looks with the natural pebbles and driftwood, but it keeps the water yellowish. its not a problem i was just wondering if there was any way to keep the water looking better.

Im not positive but I think if you filter through activated carbon it should help with the discoloration. And frequent water changes should help as well.

yup see above your driftwood is probably releasing tannins which is discoloring the water activated should clear it up -Anne

What kind of filtration unit are you using? If this is happening in your 55 gal, you may want to look into a canister unit. It works wonders, expecially with cichlid's. Also, be aware that the Oscar is going to get huge and requires a tank larger than 55 gal, 70 gal minimum. Also, be careful with that Texas Cichlid.

I am currently boiling all my driftwood which will leach the tannins out at a faster rate than occurs in the tank. It takes a while but the tannic acid makes it harder for my plants to get enough light.

Back
Top Bottom