Water emergency!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magicfan1423

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I've had my 55G tank up for a month now (started the cycle with some ghost shrimp and a couple of hardy danios), had my ammonia spike, nitrite spike, and have had 10ppm Nitrates for 2 weeks now. I added fish (in moderation) last week after the ammonia and nitrites reduced to near-nothing and the nitrates were stable and low. The water was fine all week, I tested it every day and then today I get these scary readings:
Ammonia between 2-4, and Nitrites at 5! :(
I have Prime, and was going to use it to detoxify the Nitrites and Ammonia, plus I was going to do a 50% water change, but I also wanted to know what you all might suggest if you've experienced a sudden spike like this.

Luckily the fish all seem to be fine at the moment, but I am worried about them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• 9612WaterTest.jpg
    9612WaterTest.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 57
As suggested re test but I'd do a 50% water change anyway. BUT test the water in the tank before doing the water change.

Those are major jumps. I can't see that being accurate. I've had many false readings with API.

Yeah, I re-tested and did a 50% water change. Same results as first test. Also added 3 caps of prime after water change. Fish still seem fine, will have to re-test in the morning I guess.

Magicfan1423 said:
Yeah, I re-tested and did a 50% water change. Same results as first test. Also added 3 caps of prime after water change. Fish still seem fine, will have to re-test in the morning I guess.

Yep water changes and more water changes is what your going to need. May need to bump it up to 75% if its not coming down. Or you have a filter problem, somethings dead, over feeding orsomething else along those lines.

Back
Top Bottom