water filter spilling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d1anonly22

Aquarium Advice Freak
my water filter is flowing over the front in areas its not supposed to, i have no idea whats wrong. its a topfin 20 gallon filter and right now its on my 55 gallon tank. its not spilling on the floor or nothing but its not coming out where its supposed to.

Either the water level in the tank is too high (shouldn't be over the lower plastic rim on the tank's interior), or the filter is defective. Something may also be plugging up the filtter causing it to spill water out onto the floor. Narrow it down and go from there.

Maybe the filter pads are plugged. Try running the filter empty & see if you get the same problem. Also look for any obvious obstructions in the water path.

BTW, you can clean out filter pads by rinsing in tank water. Do that once a week & you should be able to keep the pads for a long time.

Did you Find what was wrong?

My 10gallon filter just started doing the same thing. Its only a week old. I rinsed out the carbon filter in the tank and put it back in. It is still spilling over the wrong side. I did lift up the carbon filter from its housing a bit and that fixed the problem. Im just not sure if the filter is not operating correctly now..

It's by design. The filter pad is clogged up so the water goes out the overflow around the intake. All the different HOB's I have do this. Clean / replace the pad and it should work fine.

Back
Top Bottom