Water flow for 55g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jojo75931

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,
I currently have a cannister filter flow is about 175->190 give or take. And i have a Marineland power head 175. Or wave maker 750. How much low can i have in the 55g? 750 blew everything up in my tank -_-. Its planted btw. :) thinking putting cherry red once everything is established.

Thank you all,

There are many different opinions on flow rate I use x10 in my 55g but I have heard people using x4 and x6 rates depending on preference. The powerhead is nice to help keep your substrate clean between regular vacuuming but again that is just a personal preference.

On my 55 I have a marineland canister 350gph, aquatech hob 160gph, two koralia nano 450gph, and a newly added sponge filter that I am unsure of flow rate. My panda garras like it. Tetras don't seem to be bothered, they play jn the current often

I mean i want to have a strong nice flow. But it seem to blow everything up. :( maybe the plants arent deeply rooted

Continue your Awsome work!! ?

I mean i want to have a strong nice flow. But it seem to blow everything up. :( maybe the plants arent deeply rooted

Continue your Awsome work!! ��

I could see this as a problem with the powerhead but it shouldn't be much of an issue with your canister filter, your best bet might be to add an additional canister filter and drop the powerhead until your plants are solidly rooted.

Do planted tank really need an extra filter? The pennflex 700 i have is around 185gph and up to 65g. I know that more filteration means better enviorment, but do plants really need it?

I run my 55 gallon with a fluval 306 and hydor koralia 400 circulation pump and It keeps my tank very clean with good flow throughout the entire tank.

Do planted tank really need an extra filter? The pennflex 700 i have is around 185gph and up to 65g. I know that more filteration means better enviorment, but do plants really need it?

The canister by itself will not give you adequate filtration, with one of the powerheads yes. At 4x filtration your looking at 220gh for a 55

What is the x4 and x6. Specially what does the (x) and number stand for? As of right now my powerhead+the canister is 350gph....

What is the x4 and x6. Specially what does the (x) and number stand for? As of right now my powerhead+the canister is 350gph....

the x stands for times, at 350 you have sufficient filtration for your tank so now it is simply a matter of preference on your part.

The x mens times and is describing the number of times the total volume of the tank is passed through the filter per hour.

So if your 55g is filtered three time per hour, then you need a flow rate of 165g/h. There is no benefit to having more than this in a freshwater tank, although having more flow through the filter is not detrimental.

Having a high flow rate/turbulance in the tank really depends on what you intend keeping. For instance, hillstream loaches need a special set up with very high flow within the tank in order to thrive and display natural behaviour, whereas gouramis would not appreciate the flow as they hail from much slower rivers and still water, being able to survive in tiny pools by breathing atmospheric air.

Higher flow rates should improve oxygenation in the tank, which is always a good thing. That really depends on the set up and other factors, such as temperature though.

Back
Top Bottom