Water Flow in a goldfish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomK2

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got my fluval 404 today for my 55 gal fancy goldie tank. I am debating wether to let the fluval outflow go from one back corner aimed at the other back corner across the tank, or wether I should place it 6 inches in from the side and point the outflow at the nearest side to reduce current in the tank. Fancy Goldies don't seem to like current much, at least at the lfs they seem to enjoy just floating with as little swimming as possible. I am leaning towards pointing it at the side, to reduce current and in case I want to add another canister to the other side of the tank later on. What do you think?

When I kept fancies swimming was not their strong suit, unfortunately, so I'd say try to limit the current they have to contend with.

Agreed...fancy golds have been selectively bred for form, not function...in fact, many can barely swim at all, so current is their enemy....keep it as little as possible.

so, how do you make a fluval 404 with a stated rate of 350 gph not too much current? Think pointing it at the side of the tank will work? Or just leting it flow along the back of the tank where the fish can avoid it? I suppose I could play with it, its just hard to guage the actual impact without fish in the tank. I supose I can leave the back plastic strip off until I have fish, them play with different positions and directions. Once I get a result I like I can put the back molding on and cut out the holes for the hoses. Or are there any "diffusers" I could make to put over the outflow to make the outflow less directional? I would appreciate any tips or hints to point me in the right direction!

put a piece of something in your tank that floats (like a kids toy ship) and watch to see how fast it moves around your tank. Aiming your spray bar to the back of the tank would be the best course of action.

Right - I'm with Lunchbox - aim the spray bar to hit the glass behind, the opposite of how you would normally aim it.

aim the spray bar to hit the glass behind, the opposite of how you would normally aim it.
Thanks! I like the floating toy test. but there is No spray bar on a fluval 404, only a nozzle. My old spray bar is in sad shape. I think I can achieve the same effect by pointing the output nozzle at the side of the tank, or perhaps even leave the nozzle off so that the inflow goes straight down along the back and then spreads out along the bottom. Perhaps this will create upward currents in the middle of the tank that they might enjoy. I will be using airstones for surface agitaion. Time to set it up and see what works, then fish this weekend!

Wht if you attach a foam sponge to the output? That should decrease the current, or at least disperse it.

Good Idea QTOFFER! Well, I dug around in "the box." You know, that place that all the old tank parts and odds and ends go in? (c'mon, I know you have one!) and I was able to find just enough parts to reconstitiute a short spray bar. I placed the spray bar vertically in the tank, and aimed the holes slightly at the back of the tank and slightly towards the far wall. It seems to work good. I chose vertical alignment because it was easier to mate it to the fluval that way. I have to thank SerLunchBox and Tank Girl for the inspiration. I was so focused on how to modify the nozzle I never thought of the perfect diffuser - a spray bar! Thanks for the Ideas. :D :D :D :D :D (I am happy now :lol: )

I'm glad you are happy, and I'm glad you are a conscientious goldie keeper who worries about the current - they are obviously going to be well cared for. :D

Back
Top Bottom