Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2005, 12:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

water hardness

i have a problem my water hardness is all the way up as high as the test strip reads do i want it that high what is a good number to have my hardness and also is reverse osmosis water better to use than tap??

Old 05-31-2005, 09:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

To get an exact figure of hardness, buy a hardness liquid test kit. This will give exact numbers to work with. The strips are not as accurate. Are you using the strips for the Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and pH readings as well? If so, you should really get an Aquarium Pharmacuticals Master Test Kit. Extremely accurate and cheap.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok but what is a good reading 0? and is reverse osmosis watet better to use then tap if i have a free source for reverso osmosis?????
Old 05-31-2005, 06:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

0 is very soft water, not really the best buffering capacity. I'm not sure on the RO water, I don't use it.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

but i do want some water hardness is that correct?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes. I don't know the values off hand though.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

over 200 to high?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

not sure but i know ive got fairly soft water and that effects my pH which im having problems with at the moment. So yes some hardness is good. Not sure exact levels tho.

I would definatly agree with the master test kit there much better.

No idea about RO water i dont use it either. soz

Gd luck
Old 05-31-2005, 09:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get exact figures of your tap water and then give readings. Get the liquid KH and GH test kits.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

tested my water today

hardness-120
alkalinity-80
PH-6.5
nitrite-0
nitrate-80
ammonia-.25

found a dead fish in the tank hiding so i believe the ammonia is due to the dead fish that i did not see. But it got removed. Also, tank looks cloudy i changed the carbon cartriges on my fluval 404 tonight so hopefully that will clear it up. when i opened the fluval 404 the filter was quite nasty so i will prolly rinse that out in a couple of days and do a partial water change to get rid of some of the nitrates sound good?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:14 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

The ammonia is most likely attributed to the dead fish. The cloudiness is most likely from the dead fish also. The nitrate reading is very high. I wouldn't clean the filter anymore than you have. If it gets cleaned too well, you'll go through another cycle, or mini-cycle. If you really want to, swish the filter pads in used tank water, not tap water. I'd do a water change tomorrow (water only, no gravel vac or filter), then do another one the next day and so on until the Nitrates are around 30. About 20% per day.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do any of you have trouble with the color change in the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals GH test being very subtle? It is supposed to go from Orange to Green. The first day and test I had a very distinct color change but since then the initial color and drop/change point has become very subtle. Now with the first drop there is no noticeable color and after a couple more it is very light yellowish maybe. Around 7 to 8 is when it takes a green hue. But there is no immediate color change like the KH test. Initially I had 13 dGH and 3 dKH. But after using a softener pillow I am at 5 dKH and maybe somewhere around 8 dGH. It is very hard to tell with the GH.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
your water is not too hard..it really depends on if your trying to spawn discus or another soft water fish actually.. but as far as keeping the fish your hardness is fine.. even from the tap.. too soft is below 3 or 50ppm and that is just for buffering capacity if you did large frequent water changes that would not be a problem.. the buffering capacity just keeps your ph from dropping to rapidly.. sorry I didnt catch this thread earlier by the way guys!
Old 06-17-2005, 12:12 AM   #14

I have very Hard Water, i dont' know the exact numbers, but like you, it was the highest on the test strip (i also have the Master Test kit, so i don't need a lecture on that, but it doesnt test for Hardness) Anyway, i bought a water softener pillow and it brought it down to about the middle, but honestly i saw no differnce, the fish are just as happy, except my pH dropped, but that may be more related to the huge piece of driftwood i added. THe water softener is good for about 4 recharges, each recharge last 72 hours i think, so basically its good for 4 water changes. I may buy another one, but not until my driftwood stops leaching tannins and i go back to my normal weekly water changes instead of every day to every other day.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:41 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

AshleyNicole... the acid added to the water by your driftwood might be lowering your PH but if I were you I would look for it to rise back up from the calacium and minerals in your water buffering it back up.. Im not trying to lecture by the way.. Im wondering exactly how hard this water is.. these test strips might not be measuring a very wide degree of hardness.. in other words the highest score on the card could be for medium hard water..
Old 06-17-2005, 12:43 AM   #16

Honestly, im not worried about it.. As long as the fish aren't stressed.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:01 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole
Honestly, im not worried about it.. As long as the fish aren't stressed.
Good point..
Old 06-19-2005, 01:27 PM   #18

Green Magi.. you were right, my water buffered my pH back up to 7.0.. i hope it stays right there.. lol. I know this fluctuation can't be good for my fish.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:25 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Your nitrates are too high. I can't help with the hardness, don't test for it myself. Do a pwc and keep and eye on your nitrates.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:31 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole
Green Magi.. you were right, my water buffered my pH back up to 7.0.. i hope it stays right there.. lol. I know this fluctuation can't be good for my fish.
As long as the fluctuations are very gradual like less than .1-.2 points of PH per 24 hours that would be the borderline of stable.. in other words your fish should be fine.

And I think it is good to foresee these water chemistry changes.. It can help prevent shock to our fish.. thats why Im trying to post this information..
I really hope it helps anyone that reads it..

Tags
hardness, water hardness

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com