Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Water Hardness

When I research different fish to find out which ones I want I pay close attention to their preferred water conditions. I always avoid fish who don't fit in the Ph range that I'm currently at, but I'm not to sure how important it is to try to meet their water hardness needs. What effects on the fish does it have if the water is to hard or to soft?

Old 03-01-2006, 09:47 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Water hardness and pH usually go together. The harder the water, the higher the pH, usually (not always though). The lower the hardness, the lower the pH. Harder water has a better buffering capacity than softer water. Generally, if you are trying to keep fish that prefer softer water, and thus a a lower pH, than water hardness is important. Fish that can withstand a wide range of pH, can also generally withstand a wide range of hardness.

Hardness also effects fish in osmoregulation. If you know anything about osmosis, water moving from a higher concentration to a lower concentration, than you should understand how this works. Generally, you want to try and match the hardness of the fish, so that the fish doesn't have to work so hard to find that happy balance of nutrients.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardness, water hardness

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com