Water heat variance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
All my tanks except the 125g are in my basement. We heat with wood & the weather here had been arctic like -30/40 on & off for a few weeks. All tanks have at least 1 300w heater some have 2 that generally keep the water between 78/81 but with this weather the temp has fluctuated as low as 75 at night because the woodstove can barely keep the house at 65 let alone throw off extra heat to assist heaters in keeping tanks warm. I know fish can tolerate a vatiance in water temperature but how much & for how long before it becomes an issue that requires more attention than making sure the heaters are working

Hello ear...

Most aquarium fish are fine with water temperatures as low as 65 degrees. As long as the temperature change is very gradual, your fish won't notice.

B

Awesome, I was leaning in that direction from all that I had read but wanted some actual confirmation - on an off topic side note the temperature is now a balmy -8C/17F outside but there's snow so you pick your poison

Back
Top Bottom