Water help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UDCatFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had to recently replace my Fluval Aquaclear 70 with a new one. I put 2 of the old media and one new media in the new filter. Now my water is cloudy. Ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 0, but Nitrates are in between 20 and 40 according to the API color chart I have. I use the master kit with drops. What should I do? is this just a bacteria bloom? How could this be if ammonia and nitrites are 0? Will Nitrates this high cause harm to my fish? I did recently lower water temp from 74 to 72. I recently got a heater (Cobalt Neotherm) for the first time and 74 was a little too warm. Any answers to my questions and advice are greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Hi. Sounds like a bacterial bloom. Just keep doing small water changes to keep nitrates under 20ppm, 10ppm is better of course. The bloom should die out pretty soon. Replacing all the water will probably start the bloom afresh so I would do regular and small changes.
Nitrates at 40ppm over a prolonged time can damage the health of your fish, nothing dramatic to start with but it will probably weaken your fishes defences.
What fish have you got that makes you think 74f is too warm. Just a matter of interest.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

water help

Hi, thanks for replying. I thought it was probably a bacteria bloom, but was not sure. I will do small water changes as suggested. I am not sure if 72f or 74f is better. 74f felt vey warm to me. I currently have 12 golden minnows, 5 zebra danios and 4 upside down catfish in a 36g bowfront. I know both temperatures are within the acceptable parameters for all 3 species. 72f just felt better to me. Am I wrong is 74f better? I am fairly new to fish keeping; only 11 months. I welcome any suggestions or advice.
Thank you again for replying

72 is too cold for the upside down catfish, but higher than that is too warm for the golden minnows.

Back
Top Bottom