Water: How hot is TOO hot, and how to I fix it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MountainAsh87

Aquarium Advice Regular
Our AC is broken, and it's 90 degrees outside. (Thank you, Geogria.) My tank is currently reading ~79, which isn't crazy-high, but it seems a lot higher than the 74 my platy's been used to. :(

Any suggestions for how to cool down the water?

79 isn't bad... my tanks all stay at 78. You want to watch out for big swings though. I wouldn't try to mess with it at this point. Actually, I'd crank the heater up and keep it there so that you don't get fluctuating temps until you fix your AC.

I agree. I'd say anything over 82, is what you need to start worrying about.

Okay. I'll adjust my heater setting to keep it in that range. Hopefully they'll fix the AC soon. >.> Thanks! :D

Chillers might be the way to go but they are like 400-500$ for some reason. I really don't know if that would be suited for you
Though..

yeah it is. but ilove snow :p if this is common you may want to invest in a chiller

The outside temp is common. The AC breaking down doesn't seem to be, but I haven't lived in this complex long enough to be sure. :???: Where can I get a chiller, just in case, and what would be a good one to get?

MountainAsh87 said:
The outside temp is common. The AC breaking down doesn't seem to be, but I haven't lived in this complex long enough to be sure. :???: Where can I get a chiller, just in case, and what would be a good one to get?

i cant suggest google or liveaquaria.com can help but i just learned there really expensive

Chillers might be the way to go but they are like 400-500$ for some reason. I really don't know if that would be suited for you
Though..

yeah it is. but ilove snow :p if this is common you may want to invest in a chiller

Yeah, I just did an internet search and almost had a heart attack. O.O There's one rated for smaller tanks that would work, but it's still over $100. Even that's not in my current price range. :(

I'll keep an eye on it, and hopefully they'll fix that AC soon. It's not normally this warm inside the house, so hopefully I won't need such a device on a regular basis.

Fish are fine in warmer water. Ich treatments take temps up to 86 or higher for 2 weeks or more. You really shouldn't be concerned. Like I said, raise the heater temp up so that it doesn't drop tonight when it gets cooler. That'll harm the fish far more than the raise in temp will.

Fish are fine in warmer water. Ich treatments take temps up to 86 or higher for 2 weeks or more. You really shouldn't be concerned. Like I said, raise the heater temp up so that it doesn't drop tonight when it gets cooler. That'll harm the fish far more than the raise in temp will.

Heater is set, so a drop in temp tonight shouldn't be a problem. I didn't realize Ich treatments had temps that high. It's not a problem I've had (knock on wood), yet. Thanks. :)

I don't know how expensive acs are lol but it that may even be cheaper to replace.

I know! Some of those prices blew my mind. O.O If I had my druthers, we'd already have a new AC/heater. Unfortunately, we're renters, so that decision is out of my hands. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom