Water Is Lake Green

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay. So the 20g freshwater (tropical) tank was good for awhile, But now It's lake green. I've tried changing a few gallons of water, I've tried changing 90% of the water.. No matter what I do, within 48 hours, the water is lake green.

I have tried Algaecide, The water itself is green.

What can I do? It doesn't seem to matter, the water just keeps turning green.

Thanks,

-TheChad

You need to answer some questions... how long do you run lighting daily? Do you get any sunlight in the tank? What is your WC schedule? What is your stock? Planted or not? Nitrate and phosphate readings?

Green water can be eradicated in a couple ways... first you can do a black out for 3 days. Do a 50% WC then cover the tank completely for 3 days. No peeking or you break the light cycle. On the 4th day remove the covers and do another 50% WC. Then only run lighting a max for 6 hours daily.

You can also get a UV sterilizer such as this...Green Killing Machine Internal UV Sterilizer with Power Head at PETCO. Many on this site have successfully used this. Once running it can kill all the free floating algae in 24 to 48 hours usually but it's always a good idea to run it a couple days after the bloom is gone.

Back
Top Bottom