Water keeps becoming cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCommunityCichlid

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i have had a tank setup for a few months. It was a little cloudy and then everything became crystal clear, but then it got cloudy again. So I did a water change and its still cloudy. What's going on?

So i have had a tank setup for a few months. It was a little cloudy and then everything became crystal clear, but then it got cloudy again. So I did a water change and its still cloudy. What's going on?

Have you changed anything? Gravel vac? Filtration? What size tank? What are your parameters? Could be a bacterial bloom.

Can you take a pic? What type of filter are you running? Is there room for some purigen/poly floss or polishing pads? Maybe a bag of carbon.

Not sure if this is obvious or not, but after a few months my tank was cloudy and could not get it to go away no matter what i did. After tranferring most of the fish to another tank i started taking everything out. Once all decorations were removed i took the gravel vac and really dug down in the gravel. I mean turning over every piece and really making the gravel vac get everywhere. I would get the vac to the bottom and go front to back of the tank jut sliding the vac to churn up all the gunk down there. Turns out during my regular PWCs i just wasnt getting down all the way and some really nasty water came out of there. Once done the tank has been clear ever since...now that i learned to really get down to the bottom. Maybe common sense, but jut a mistake i made that might help.

I am running a marineland 50 with two filter cartridges, a bag of carbon might be a good idea! I have sand as a substrate so it's not gunk at the bottom and its. Not dust either. I will post a picture.

Ok just tested my water and my trites and trates are of the charts!!! What could have caused this? Everything was fine like at zero a week ago! Could it be my tap?

Attachments

• image-868074012.jpg
    image-868074012.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 81
Your having a bacterial bloom caused by a mini cycle I'm guessing. What exactly are your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings? You need to test your tap water for nitrates. Also what is your Ph? How often do you do WC's and how much water do you change out?

I have been doing weekly changes at about 15 to 20 percent. My ph is a constant 7.0 and I use test strips (I know they aren't the best, but it's what I got) the colors not even on the bottle to compare to

I cant get over your filter, you have marineland 50. Not 100 or 350 but marineland peguin bio wheel filter 50?

If its only a 50 then your gph is only 50 gal a hour which is little over your tank size. Imo i would upgrade filter to something that does 200 gph or higher or get another filter on there. Something 7-10 times your tank size. I have two filters on my tank 256gph and one thats 157gph. Dont have a problem with cloudy water

Back
Top Bottom