Water logging driftwood - How and with what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone, I finally got my driftwood pieces in, and was wondering how does one get rid of the tannins in there... without heating the water, I can leave it in a rubber made tub with my useless rio 1400, but don't want to constant fill the tub and then drain it with hot water. I heard of using bleach then someone else said using peroxides was better... which is better and whree can I get it??? Thanks everyone!

Electrobes, I found that a regular beverage cooler is so convenient for treating driftwood! I have a large 15 gallon one and it is great.

heh my pieces were pretty big, also does it matter how much salt you use? I think I went above the cup per 10 gallons..

Yeah I definately over salted the tub.. is that bad for the driftwood? ALso how often does one change the water in the tub?

I use malaysian drift wood in my tanks and it has always sunk immeditately. Am I just luckly that I've never had a problem sinking wood?

You'll be allright man. You are not going to oversalt it to the point of them being pickled :lol: You need to change the water every 2-3 days. Did you find that wood or bought it somewhere?

I bought it on ebay, and he pretty much did nothing to it, say maybe lightly sanding it, if that. But when I got it I sanded it some to remove sharp edges and any other loose ends, bricked them down in a 31 gallon rubbermaid tub and put a lot of salt (considering I have 40 pounds of salt that I'll never use). I started this yesterday and planned on doing a 50% water changed everyday... which I have done today.

Great. I myself found my piece near local creek. I sanded it well, treated it for 2 weeks maybe, tied it to a piece of slate, and now it is sitting in my tank. I drilled 2 holes in my slate and use plastic locking wire ties to secure it to the wood, so that I did not have to use screws and silicone them.

Mine has been soaking in a bowl of salty, dechlorinated water for four days. It doesn't float as much, but it surely doesn't sink. How many more days of this before the thing is waterlogged? I am lazy and would rather not do drilling and get slate, etc.

they say it takes about two weeks... but who knows it depends on the wood.. I am going to let it go for about two weeks... changing 50% of the water daily... seems to be doing the trick though.. getting rid of the tannins and the wood is a lot heavier

Back
Top Bottom