Water Movement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samt1

Aquarium Advice Activist
HI Guys, I'm having issue's with my outlet nozzle on the external filter, the issue is it keeps falling off leaving the hose just pumping the water down towards the bottom of the tank. I have ordered a new set of hose adapters to try and fix the issue. My question is I have been told the I need to have the surface of the water moving to help add oxygen to the water, I have seen friends tanks and they don't have this and seem to have no problems, I'm just wondering is this true? When I fix the outlet nozzle the water will break the surface but it might take a few days to get the bits.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Sam.

It depends really. Surface movement effects gas exchange. Folks that inject CO2 want minimal surface movement so that CO2 is not wasted, but then O2 is supplemented by the plants. Other than that, more surface movement increase gas exchange creating a healthier environment for your fish.

My HOB outflows are blocked purposely with plastic water bottle cuttings to slow the current for my angelfish. Both my 37 and 55 are that way, but one has an additional sponge filter in it and the other has an LED bubble wand, so it's a non-issue.

If you have an air pump you should be able to agitate the surface from the bottom up. It doesn't have to occur from the top down.

I wouldn't worry about it ... Agitating the surface better promotes oxygen exchange by slightly increasing the surface area ... But there are many members that completely submerge their output nozzles to reduce surface agitation. Oxygen will always find its way into your tank ... Especially if your tank has a large foot print. As long as you are appropriately stocked, it's not an issue.

As was mention, an air stone would agitate from below ...

Back
Top Bottom