Water out of Python

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ditto Alshain. Why siphon when it's a heck of a lot easier just to use the Python. With the gallons we change per week I'll never go back to the buckets.

True Justin, but the bucket brigade takes a lot longer, is messier, and for an old woman like myself, not easy on the back. Python takes me about 35 mintues to do the 55, 29, and 10. That includes cleaning the tanks. I wouldn't trade that any day.

It's also better to run to work but do you drive? :)

I had 13 tanks before i finally switch to a python.
But aren't a lot of your tanks too small for a Python?

I'll never go back to the buckets (except for my SW tanks)! I have too many tanks and too much water... and that's after I downsized my FW operation! :lol:

And yes, I also understand how a siphon works, but my house is all one level and the tanks aren't much higher than the windows. I wouldn't even be able to gravel vac if I shut off the water. :roll:

Alshain said:
ezy33 said:
IMO if your using a Python you don't understand hydraulics!

We understand the concepts of water siphoning, we just don't want to pull it out into a bucket and then carry it across rooms to dump it. I have a 55 gallon tank, a 20% PWC means 11 gallons! And some people have 200 gallon tanks. How would you like to carry 40 gallons by bucket once a week? Watering the back lawn is a nice option too if you have one, but I don't.

However that does bring up an interesting DIY idea. I wonder if it would be possible to build a water pump, like one you would find for a fountain in a hobby store, that would siphon from your tank down a long tubing and spray it through a water sprinkler for people with large tanks (or many tanks) and lawns that need watering. Might be fun to try it, it would also be a better use than throwing it down the drain. It might take a larger pump though, maybe for a lawn fountain. Don't know if the cost of that would be worth it.

Actually I have manifolds on both my 180 GALs. All I have to do to drain is turn on a valve. FW runs to my back yard and the SW goes down the drain. my 55, 30, and 9 GAL still get the Oll bucket brigade.

Now that I think of it would be easy to connect a hose and valve to one of my filter manifolds so I could drain and fill my smaller tanks. Of corse I would need a way to get all the water out of the hose!

PS tank water has many nutrients. :idea:

I actually have a python, but it's not long enough. I need to get an extension for it some day.

My 55 gal is the only tank in operation. The bucket method is easy enough. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom