Water out of Python

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetness8t5

Aquarium Advice Activist
How in the WORLD do I get the water out of my 50' Python?!!!
:(
I tried to use the drain on it but- No dice.
Then I tried to kind of "lift" the water out... like kind put the hose upside down (hope that makes sense).. didn't work either.

What do you guys do??

Blazeherd2306 said:
^50 ft of it? :eek:

nope..75 footer :p

Locorosa's post

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=95733&highlight=mildew

locorosa said:
Okay...don't laugh at me but, I have a 75 footer and a huge yard. I studied with whips for a while in college so I go out to the middle of my yard and hold it at the halfway point and swing it over my head in a long slow cirlce a few times and then a couple of quick snaps before I reroll it. It was used when I bought it and I've had it for several months with no mildew. Also, the acetone and sunlight should work as well.

So put on some chaps, spurs, and get a hat...lol.

I just keep the suction on and roll it up, it works its way out. To do a really good dry job my husband hangs it out the window upstairs.

Wow, um.. thanks... haha, hanging outside two story windows-seems like a lot just to dry out a hose, lol.
I'll try the suction, roll up technique tomorrow.

THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!

evercl92 said:
another option is to run some acetone through the tube. Dries mine out in minutes.

Acetone, as in nail polish remover?? Or is something different that you're referring to? And How to you do it..

Acetone, as in nail polish remover?? Or is something different that you're referring to? And How to you do it..[/quote]

yep, same stuff. It's found in the paint thinner / various household chemicals aisle. Hold both ends of python. Add about a cup of acetone. Work the acetone from one end to the other. When you get to the other end, dump it down the drain. It did discolor my gravel vac the one time, so you may want to remove it during the process. It has since regained the clear color.

Won't that effect the fish though?
Cause that's a strong chemical.. kind of iffy about it.

Acetone dries in seconds. May take a couple mins to dry throughout the entire tube, but it will certainly be plenty of time before your next water change.

Unless you live in a apartment, I think using running water to pull water from your tank is a waste when gravity will do it for free. It's called a siphon.

Before the water company started using chloramine I would put the hose in the tank at the level I was draining it to. Then turn on the water until the hose was filled. Disconnect the hose from the faucet and let the water run on to the lawn. I also can use a gravel tube while draining. When done I reconnect the hose and turn on the water until full and treat for chlorine. Now with chloramine I fill a plastic 55 GAL drum, treat for chloramine and pump into the tank. I found my Bala Sharks require pretreating the water. I do the same for SW except for the lawn part.

On another note; Acetone is a pretty harsh industrial chemical, some where between mineral sprits and MEK. Correct me if I'm wrong but that is what is used to solvent weld Plexiglass?

That only works if you have a drainage location lower than the tank. My python completly loses suction once the water is turned off. When we had the ability to run it outside it didn't have as good of a suction without the hose. I'll stick with "wasting water". Besides, the Python wastes the equivelant of taking a shower once a month.

ezy33 said:
IMO if your using a Python you don't understand hydraulics!

We understand the concepts of water siphoning, we just don't want to pull it out into a bucket and then carry it across rooms to dump it. I have a 55 gallon tank, a 20% PWC means 11 gallons! And some people have 200 gallon tanks. How would you like to carry 40 gallons by bucket once a week? Watering the back lawn is a nice option too if you have one, but I don't.

However that does bring up an interesting DIY idea. I wonder if it would be possible to build a water pump, like one you would find for a fountain in a hobby store, that would siphon from your tank down a long tubing and spray it through a water sprinkler for people with large tanks (or many tanks) and lawns that need watering. Might be fun to try it, it would also be a better use than throwing it down the drain. It might take a larger pump though, maybe for a lawn fountain. Don't know if the cost of that would be worth it.

Alshain said:
ezy33 said:
IMO if your using a Python you don't understand hydraulics!

We understand the concepts of water siphoning, we just don't want to pull it out into a bucket and then carry it across rooms to dump it. I have a 55 gallon tank, a 20% PWC means 11 gallons! And some people have 200 gallon tanks. How would you like to carry 40 gallons by bucket once a week? Watering the back lawn is a nice option too if you have one, but I don't.

However that does bring up an interesting DIY idea. I wonder if it would be possible to build a water pump, like one you would find for a fountain in a hobby store, that would siphon from your tank down a long tubing and spray it through a water sprinkler for people with large tanks (or many tanks) and lawns that need watering. Might be fun to try it, it would also be a better use than throwing it down the drain. It might take a larger pump though, maybe for a lawn fountain. Don't know if the cost of that would be worth it.

Your lawn would probably smell like fish though, LoL...

Back
Top Bottom