Water Parameter Problems! Dwarf Gourami's!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmac

Aquarium Advice Regular
Some not so good news today from our LFS, apparently our water board is planning on introducing Chloramine to our water and not just Chlorine, not sure how we go about solving that issue, don’t want it to affect our fish. Also have a sample of our tank water going in for Iron testing tomorrow as we think there is abnormally high levels coming from our taps, which is promoting Hair Algae growth and caused the recent death of our Shrimp! :(

If Iron is high, how do we go about solving this problem, and what is the recommended level for gH? Our pH has always been low too around 6.2-6.4, but our tank mates have been used to it for a long time, but recently it has dropped to 6.0 and I want to get it sorted. Any ideas?

Really liked the look of the Dwarf Gourami’s I saw for the first time today… what are they like? Would they get along with my other tank mates if I got one, how do they act? Do they have a good character as I’ve never had a Cichlid before?

Also saw a lovely tank full of live rock and invertebrates, very impressive… I’m assuming I can’t have live rock in my tank? What sort of conditions does it need? Many thanks. :)

Dwarf Gouramis are not cichlids, they are labyrinthfish....the same family as your betta (Siamese Fighting Fish). And therein lies the problem. :| There is always the potential that a dwarf gourami and the betta would not get along. They *might* be fine and just ignore each other, or they might start fighting the moment you put the gourami in the tank. So if you get the gourami(s), you need to have a "back up plan" for what you are going to do if fighting breaks out.

As for the water issues, I'll let others answer most of it. But the chloramine thing shouldn't be a huge deal, as most of the standard water conditioners take out both chlorine and chloramine.

As JohnPaul said, the Chloramine is not a problem. When you purchase dechlorinator, make sure it removes the Chloramine (most do). In regards to your pH. You can add crushed coral in the filtration unit or put a piece of limestone in the tank. It will raise your pH naturally and slowly. If you have driftwood or peat in your tank, it is lowering your pH.

I'm not sure of the Iron problem. I've never heard of that before.

Live rock is for saltwater tanks. I'm not too farmiliar with Saltwater but I believe that the live rock won't "live" in a freshwater tank. But again, I'm not completly sure.

The combination of Betta's and Gourami's is not a good idea. It should be exercised with extreme caution. Also, the Gourami and Tetra combination should be closely monitored. The Gourami and Molly's would be fine together. I would not recommend adding a Gourami to this tank setup. You have a good setup right now.

gmac said:
Really liked the look of the Dwarf Gourami’s I saw for the first time today… what are they like? Would they get along with my other tank mates if I got one, how do they act? Do they have a good character as I’ve never had a Cichlid before?

I doubt that the dwarf gourami will get along with your male betta. However, Currently I have two dwarf gouramis with a female betta and that is fine. IMO If you want dwarf gourami, move your betta.

IMHO the dwarf gourami is really active, but try not to get more than one male. I made a mistake and got two males, but if you must, the males can be kept if watched closely. My males tend to bicker slightly between each other but never to the point of fin damage. The dwarf gourami needs plenty of caves/rocks to hide and needs plants. It is a very active and outgoing fish and will eat from your fingers. The dwarf gourami is funny to watch, but Gouramis can get territorial.

Back
Top Bottom