Water Parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I have maintained stable water parameters in all three of my tanks for the past 9 months or so. For some reason, they are starting to change a little.

I have maintained a pH of 7.4 in all of my tanks. Last week one of my tank's pH went up to 7.8. This week, another tank rose to 7.8. The last tank is still at 7.4, but I can't figure out what could be causing this.

Something else that I noticed while doing my parameter check a few minutes ago... on my 10-gallon tank, the temperature rose to 82 degrees. It has consistently stayed between 79.2-79.6 degrees until now and there hasn't really been a change in temperature in my house or outside.

I checked my tap water to compare and the pH is 7.2. What are your thoughts? Should I get a new heater and lower the pH, or leave it at 7.8?

-----
2 x 5 Gallon Betta Tanks
1 x 10 Gallon w/ Tetras, Danios, and a Barb

As for the Heater - yes I would get a new heater, sounds like the one you have may be going bad.
As for the PH, how are your current fish doing? if they are doing good then I would just monitor the PH to make sure it doesn't start to get to much higher than what it currently is.... what kind of fish are in your tank?

As for the Heater - yes I would get a new heater, sounds like the one you have may be going bad.
As for the PH, how are your current fish doing? if they are doing good then I would just monitor the PH to make sure it doesn't start to get to much higher than what it currently is.... what kind of fish are in your tank?

I have tetras, danios, barbs, and two bettas across all of my tanks. They seem to be doing fine so far. I'll keep an eye on them and keep testing the water.

As fish grow their bioload increases: the amount they eat relative to body size leading to higher expenditure of waste. This is normal.
When the amount of beneficial bacteria is no longer sufficient to convert organic waste efficiently, that is when you see an ammonia rise.
The beneficial bacteria will attempt to match bioload, but, it can only do this to a point.
So, you will either see, in time, the beneficial bacteria matching the bio-load or the inability of your system to meet this increased bioload and a continual elevated ammonia issue.
How do you combat the later?
1. Increase surface area for biological bacteria to grow by adding more bio-media to filter or by adding a sponge filter.
2. Increase frequency and volume of weekly water changes.
3. Re-home some fish.

Have you tested your pH out of the tap and again in 24 hours, after it has gassed out? You may need to age your water prior to adding to tank- you dont want anything more than a .4 +/ - shift in pH from tap to tank.

Have you done a KH/GH test to see what the buffering capacity of your water is?

As fish grow their bioload increases: the amount they eat relative to body size leading to higher expenditure of waste. This is normal.
When the amount of beneficial bacteria is no longer sufficient to convert organic waste efficiently, that is when you see an ammonia rise.
The beneficial bacteria will attempt to match bioload, but, it can only do this to a point.
So, you will either see, in time, the beneficial bacteria matching the bio-load or the inability of your system to meet this increased bioload and a continual elevated ammonia issue.
How do you combat the later?
1. Increase surface area for biological bacteria to grow by adding more bio-media to filter or by adding a sponge filter.
2. Increase frequency and volume of weekly water changes.
3. Re-home some fish.

Have you tested your pH out of the tap and again in 24 hours, after it has gassed out? You may need to age your water prior to adding to tank- you dont want anything more than a .4 +/ - shift in pH from tap to tank.

Have you done a KH/GH test to see what the buffering capacity of your water is?

I am upgrading my tanks soon, but in the meantime I ordered a few sponge filters. I think they will be okay as long as the pH doesn't fluctuate too much. I have some catappa leaves that I could throw in to help lower it if needed.

Back
Top Bottom