Water PH balance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nguyen27

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,
One question, there are two type of PH regulators from Seachem (I was looking at bigalsonline.com last night), one stated that to hold the PH at 7.0 and other is to hold at 7.5, is it possible to mix these 2 and get a average of 7.25 PH ? I saw something like this mentioned somewhere but can't find it.
Thanks

In a word...no.

There are a whole heckuva lot of factors that will effect your pH in a fish tank. pH regulators generally can't knock out all these factors. Some people have had great success with them...but other people have ended up with fish deaths because a small change in the system ended up propagating a huge swing in the pH.

What is your pH now? Is there a specific reason you want to alter it? Most fish do just fine in a pretty wide range of pH's, sometimes it's easier to acclimate your fish to the pH of your tap water rather than get mixed up in a bunch of chemistry that can sometimes do more harm than good.

Personally I so far don't like seachems regulater, it does put the ph closer to 7 but in my tank it only takes it from 6.2 to 6.7, then within a day the ph is back down to 6.2.
My tank is impossible to maintain for no reason at all.

It's tricky business...

The idea of pH regulators is that they will grab up excess H+, and spit it out again if H+ levels are depleted. But in an aquarium, there are a ton of factors that influence the concentration of H+...from ammonia levels, to temperature, to bacterial efficiency, to water hardness. No buffer can really accomidate all these conditions.

My water are just fine now, I was asking to see if such mix can be use for like future water change and so on, since my tap water is little soft but PH is always around 7.8? It is possible to use such PH regulator to treat water before the water can be use for water change?
Thanks

a pH of 7.8 is just fine for most fish (what are you keeping?). I'd just stick with the tap water as is (use a conditioner to remove chlorine if it's used in your local water system).

If the pH in your tank is vastly different than whats coming out of your tap, you might try leaving it to sit for a day or two, and see how it changes.

Back
Top Bottom