Water PH management

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aaron10020

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've recently been taking a closer look at my water chemistry because I'm trying to increase growth rates particularly with my blue Gill I've noticed my KH is near 0 and my water is at a ph of around 6 haven't noticed any health issues but my tap water soft is low in KH and at around 6.5 PH i want a consistent buffer from what I understand increasing KH is the way to go my understanding of PH is a bit iffy.

Goal is 7 unless anyone has alternate advise as far as optimal blue gill condition.

Don't wanna have to continually add additives I don't know if crushed coral or wonder shells are an option

TDS Of my tap is round and 100 and the tank is around 150

The bag of crushed coral is your best bet. It may raise it up higher around 8.2. I am not totally sure on that number because i fight the opposite problem my TDS is around 500-550ppm.

That's what I was afraid of I don't want to over correct it I also wanna have to Chase it. Not good for the fish not good for me.

Honestly stable conditions are better than those that go up and down. If you are willing to mix water for water changes you can do that to get it just right Seachem makes stuff to remineralize water. Mainly for RO water. It can be very exact but requires a lot of work. The standard trash can/bin for water mixing, an extra heater to temp match prior to water changes. When I did it I used a large wet dry powerhead to pump in to the tank.
It's was a real PITA for the 2 tanks I was running at that time. I gave up trying to mess with it. Now I just work with what comes out of my tap. I can do a 50% water change in 10 minutes.

They live in waters that range between 6-8.5 pH. I wouldn't mess with it. Was this bluegill caught by you locally? If so, what is the pH of your local lake water?

Back
Top Bottom