Water problem please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KH16

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A few days a go I removed a tiger barb from my tank, looked like he may of had pop eye. I did a 30% change of water and my numbers have been off ever since I'm not sure how to get it corrected. My water is too hard at 300 my pH is now to high at 8.4, total alkalinity appears to be high. I took a picture of the rest strip with what is says. Maybe someone can tell how to fix this.

I was advised to but salt in my tank which is 37 gal. So I did but my numbers where off with a hard water and pH issues, can't remember what it read now but it said to add baking soda so I did. My fish appear to be doing fine, with the exception of some are bloated looked it up I had some with poop hang from bottom and it was advised they could be stressed. Which would make since I just changed 30% the water. Ammonia test read safe at .5 (picture attached).

Temperature of tank is 78 F

Can someone help me please?

I have:
1 tiger barb( not the one that had pop eye, it died)
2 Dalmatian Molly's
3 Sunburst Platy's
2 tinfoil barbs (gifted to us didn't realize the size they get)
1 albino catfish I believe (gifted to us)
1 other kind of catfish (gifted to us)
1 Rubber-lip Plecostomus

I do know barbs can be aggressive lol they haven't bothered any of the fish as of yet. I will keep a look out for any problems. [emoji4]

Oh and I noticed one of my Dalmatians has yellow on it and I don't remember it having it before. ( picture attached) can anyone tell if it's normal or something to be concerned about. I read they sometimes change colors, but was confused if it was on frys or any of them. IMG_2699.jpgIMG_2700.jpgIMG_2702.jpg

Definitely stop adding salt and baking soda if hardness is unwanted. I know the livebearers like it hard but not sure about the others. I would go the other route and add catapa leaves if you can get em or DECAF tea bags to soften the water and add healing tannins for your fish. Once salt has been added it doesn't evaporate so unless they really like hard water I wouldn't do this on any type of routine. It's also bad for most plants. Ammonia issues are easily solved by ADDING plants. If that's not something you wanna commit to you can just dip a pothos in the top of your tank or add water lettuce. Frogbit might help - anything to eat the ammonia up

So, first, baking soda raises kH and pH. No more salt for now, okay? Can we get a picture of your full tank?

Test your source water. Let us know what you've got going on.

Give your fish a peeled pea to help with constipation.

.5ppm ammonia is only safe in that it will not immediately kill your critters.

Stocking....

So, first, baking soda raises kH and pH. No more salt for now, okay? Can we get a picture of your full tank?

Stocking....

IMG_2705.jpg

Tested the water in the tank if that is what you are referring to as the source ( pictures of tests are attached) and the initial water was tap water treated before adding fish.

What do you need to know about stocking? Im not planning on adding anymore fish and what I have is also in the original post.

Definitely stop adding salt and baking soda if hardness is unwanted. I know the livebearers like it hard but not sure about the others. I would go the other route and add catapa leaves if you can get em or DECAF tea bags to soften the water and add healing tannins for your fish. Once salt has been added it doesn't evaporate so unless they really like hard water I wouldn't do this on any type of routine. It's also bad for most plants. Ammonia issues are easily solved by ADDING plants. If that's not something you wanna commit to you can just dip a pothos in the top of your tank or add water lettuce. Frogbit might help - anything to eat the ammonia up

What is pathos?

How many tea bags should I try, I think I have those on hand.

Pothos. It's that ivy like house plant you can get easily. IMG_0893.JPG

Clean off the dirt and dangle the roots in the tank.

You can drape them around the house/tank when it gets big.here's mine. It really doesn't look bad. I've seen gorgeous emersed growth on top of tanks. I think this is actually a philodendron but it works the same way. You can't kill them they're bulletproof20170624_110615.jpg

Try putting 6 teabags in your tank for 5 days or so then remove them or the acid eats through the bag itself and makes a mess. Nothing that could hurt fish just messy. 20170607_154315.jpg20170605_105924.jpg20170607_153459.jpg20170710_123520.jpg

My ph is usually around 5 in this tank and they're all doing well. Now most of these fish are found in "Blackwater" in nature so it's fitting for my case but I also keep my hospital/quarantine tank that low as well. It's proven that tannins boost immunity

I would also suggest getting a little more cover for the cats and pleco. They like to hide and it helps with overall stress in the tank. Remember we're trying to achieve balance so eventually in time the tank will balance itself out (life finds a way - Jurassic Park) but it might cost you some fish without intervention. Anything is possible. There are no rules only guidelines. It's all horribly unnatural by design so whatever works for you is what matters. I personally won't use my own tap water - I don't trust it. But if I can't get spring water anymore at a reasonable rate some day I'm going all hard water. So salt, brakish, and rift lake as these fish like it hard. So definitely test your tap water straight up and see what's in it. Over here we have chlorine, flouride, coliform, radium, barium, mono-chloramine, trace amounts of lead - they just sent me a pamphlet on the results of their testing - and this is just what they're admitting to. Who knows what's really in it. We all saw what happened to the children of Flint, Michigan so be vigilant. Again hardy fish don't care as much but it's good to know for sure

I would also suggest getting a little more cover for the cats and pleco. They like to hide and it helps with overall stress in the tank. Remember we're trying to achieve balance so eventually in time the tank will balance itself out (life finds a way - Jurassic Park) but it might cost you some fish without intervention. Anything is possible. There are no rules only guidelines. It's all horribly unnatural by design so whatever works for you is what matters. I personally won't use my own tap water - I don't trust it. But if I can't get spring water anymore at a reasonable rate some day I'm going all hard water. So salt, brakish, and rift lake as these fish like it hard. So definitely test your tap water straight up and see what's in it. Over here we have chlorine, flouride, coliform, radium, barium, mono-chloramine, trace amounts of lead - they just sent me a pamphlet on the results of their testing - and this is just what they're admitting to. Who knows what's really in it. We all saw what happened to the children of Flint, Michigan so be vigilant. Again hardy fish don't care as much but it's good to know for sure

I tried to find some drift would. I read some of the fish I have like it. But the store I was at didn't have any! Go figure.

I'll keep looking for coverage and thank you

Stocking....

Is there something else you would recommend then peeled peas?

Does anyone have any idea about the Dalmatian? Is it normal or does it look sick?

Coconut mud huts are good for releasing tannins as well as being affordable. I cut this one with a hole saw and chopped it in half but the fish don't care about that they live in it if it's just smashed with a hammer. Just remove the meat from inside before it goes in the tank and give it a light boil for safety's sake. Also the terracotta planters are good. They can be baked in the oven at 350 degrees for 20min and placed in the aquarium when they cool20170702_131154.jpg

I got pulled away from my phone suddenly, sorry.

Peas really are the best in this case. I microwave a couple for 30 seconds and then push them through the garlic press.

Your cories and barbs are social. They will be most healthy in groups.

You say that your barbs are playing nice, but your molly has a bruise. Other signs of stress could be because of aggression you haven't seen. Fish, believe it or not, will often be on their best behavior when observed.

And people already pointed out that your pleco needs driftwood.

I got pulled away from my phone suddenly, sorry.

Peas really are the best in this case. I microwave a couple for 30 seconds and then push them through the garlic press.

Your cories and barbs are social. They will be most healthy in groups.

You say that your barbs are playing nice, but your molly has a bruise. Other signs of stress could be because of aggression you haven't seen. Fish, believe it or not, will often be on their best behavior when observed.

And people already pointed out that your pleco needs driftwood.

Where is it bruised? Do the bruise differently then we do. Apparently the molly already had yellow on it when we bought it I just didn't realize it. My mom was with me when I got it and she said it already had some yellow.

Back
Top Bottom