Water problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK... I guess my husband hadn't been cleaning the gravel correctly. I just did a 5 gallon water change and cleaned the gravel. The water that I got out was so dirty I couldn't see the bottom of the bucket. I did what I read and took my filter out and swished it in the bucket. I put the filter back in and turn the pump back on and dirty water came out and clouded up my tank. What did I do wrong ? Should I have cleaned the water out of the bottom where the filter sit's Before turning it back on ? Its this going to hurt my fish ?

No, you're doing fine the fact that you cleaned your gravel and swished around your filter is what you should do. I swish my filter every other wc. Keep doing small wc's but don't always be too over zealous with cleaning the gravel since you're rank is still trying to cycle (clean 1 side 1 week then the other side then next wc). If your seeing nitrites and now and especially nitrates means it is close to being cycled. Remember do not over feed. Some fish are filthy beggars and act like they are starving all the time.:D

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can unhook the filter from the tank and put it over a bucket to catch the water. Always unplug from the wall plug, then rinse out the inside of it once in awhile and use a bottle brush to get the sludgy stuff off.

Also you can learn about how to clean the impeller area. Gunk and snails will get in there and stop it up, that is why it is nice to clean it out once in awhile.

If you have the info from the tank you can read the information that came with it or find it online so you can learn about the light and its K rating.

I've had a very similar problem It sounds like your tank is still in a cycle. Test ammonia etc. I thought I had a established tank everything was fine until I added fish. I can happen and it's called a "fish cycle" I also got white spot and it killed off my whole stock except 1 BN pleco. Keep doing 40% water changes everyday making sure you use dechlorinator during every water change. You can also get something that helps your filter cycle better by introducing the beneficial bacteria to the tank.
I'm currently using FLUVAL Aqua plus water conditioner it removed chlorine and chloramines and neutralises metal toxins from tap water (so it's pretty much posh tap safe haha)
And along side that using FLUVAL cycle biological enhancer which eliminates ammonia and nitrate.
It's pricey but works.

My cold tap water is not soft water, but the hot is. My PH from my tap for both hot and cold is 7.6, and the high PH is 8.0. I haven't made it to Petsmart to get the Prime yet so I use my Tetra AquaSafe with my water change. Should I be doing water changes every other day or once a week ? Plus do I test before each water change ? My filters are carbon. Are those good to use ? If so, I don't change them until they start to fall apart ? I believe there is room to use 2 of these filters. Should I ?

You can spend $10 on an 8.5oz bottle of prime. I have a 55 gallon tank and it's lasted for about 5 months.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My cold tap water is not soft water, but the hot is. My PH from my tap for both hot and cold is 7.6, and the high PH is 8.0. I haven't made it to Petsmart to get the Prime yet so I use my Tetra AquaSafe with my water change. Should I be doing water changes every other day or once a week ? Plus do I test before each water change ? My filters are carbon. Are those good to use ? If so, I don't change them until they start to fall apart ? I believe there is room to use 2 of these filters. Should I ?

Carbon filters are fine to use unless your using treatment for white spot etc as the carbon will just filter it out.
Id do 40% every other day until you get the prime and I change my carbon filters every month but if there's 2 carbon then alternate every month, say one one month then one the next month so your not getting rid of all the bacteria as this will send your tank back into a cycle and your back to square 1. I test my water daily at the moment

You should be doing enough pwc to keep the water in the proper parameters. You should test then do the amount of pwc you think will work. Then test the problem area afterwards and see how it worked. You can do an additional pwc if the numbers aren't good enough yet. Do it until it is right.

Prime is awesome stuff, get it as asoon as you can. ALWAYS have enough for a couple pwc left so you don't actually run out and have an emergency. :)

Whatever filters your HOB uses are fine. If you can fit 2 do it. You build BB based upon what the BB has to use for energy/consume (i'm not a biology major so possibly not using the exact word there). I let there be the maximum amount of surface area to keep them reproducing /growing so I use 2 for the best chances.

Carbon will expend its usefulness as a cleaner after a couple of weeks, then it is just an inert material for additional BB to colonize on. You don't really want to renew the carbon on a regular basis as it isn't recommended for a planted tank. (there are differing opinions and thoughts abouth the carbon topic which you can always learn more about when you have time)

Yes let the filter pads get to the point of falling apart. Then you add one and have 2 - one gets cleaned per cleaning session - clean one in the front, less clean one in the back is how I do it. Being cleanest one then water going into the tank.

Sorry, but I have yet another question. The people at PetSmart told me that when I do a water change or am adding water conditioner that I should turn my filter off for a couple of hours. Something about my filter will just remove anything I put in the tank. Like stress coat. Is this true ?

Once your carbon is a couple weeks old it stops absorbing stuff like color in the water, meds and other stuff like stress coat as well.

I guess it having the filter on could help remove the stress coat, but what would a couple hours really do other than give it a little time in the tank to NOT get removed. So doesn't make sense in your tank to me.

Don't turn off the filter imho. Just too easy to forget to turn it back on, and you want filtration.

So my husband took my Petsmart last night to get the stuff you all talk about "Prime". All they had was a liquid. Will this be ok to use ? I also got a different thermometer ( as suggested). Its a floating one with a suction cup to stick it to the glass. Yesterday I cleaned the glass and did my second pwc. I'll do another one tomorrow. Is it ok that I'm only testing for Nitrites and Nitrates or should I be test everything before each pwc ?

Thank you all so much for all your help!!
Sue

Testing for everything is a good thing. When I do water changes I test for PH, Ammonia, Nitrates, and Nitrites. The liquid is fine, just follow the instructions. I suggest going to your local grocery store and picking up a few gallon jug of spring water (not distilled). Just mix some of the spring water with the tap and it will normalize your water parameters.

Spring water will also have some minerals in it and you may want to check the the pH. It should'nt have ammonia or Nitite or Nitrate...

After all the changes and using Prime and trying to get things/parameters settled down and if there is still issues, you can cut the portion of your tap water with RO or RO/DI water.

RO/DI- Reverse Osmosis (deionization) can be bought reasonably at a Saltwater Store for around $1. per gallon. It is filtered pure water and clean from any -well say 97-99% particles like silicates or anything.

There are 5G containers available (get the rigid variety, the soft sided ones are thin and hard to pour), around here they are about $15 with a free fill of SW and since the RODI water is half the cost you could always ask for an extra refill of RODI water next trip in with a note on your receipt or something (doesn't hurt to ask).

This would dilute your tap water and get the TDS and PH lower if you need to.

I think you will get this worked out soon though. :) Prime (yes liquid) will really help the bumpy spots.

I did a wc Sunday with the Liquid Prime. Today I test my water before doing another wc and my Nitrates are out the roof. 160! I bought 3 gallons of spring water too. My PH in my cold tap water is 7.2. Its the same in my soft water as well. HELP!!! I thought I was doing everything right. :(

Sue

You might be getting to the end of the cycle. You can use 7 times required amount (for a 29G tank total dosing for total amount of water in tank) to protect the tank from the nitrates. You can do a big pwc. Retest and add extra Prime as needed.

Still trying to get my Nitrates down to 0. With the color that's showing I can't tell if its 10ppm or 20ppm. My PH is still high. So I tried mixing some reverse Osmosis water in with my tap water to help with both the Nitrates and the PH. I've tried adding 2 gals of the RO water to the 5-6 gal water changes in my 29g tank with no results. My PH is 7.6, High PH 8.2, Nitrites 0, Ammonia is 0.25. Plus can you tell me how much longer until this disgusting brown algae will go away?? Its been over 2 months now. My white rocks look like crap!!

Things aren't as bad as you think. You don't need your nitrAtes down to 0; readings of 10-20 are just fine and what you want if you have plants. NitrItes and ammonia should be 0 but you may be misreading your chart. Post a picture of your ammonia reading (with the tube and the chart) so we can see. I've noticed before that the chart is sometimes printed more yellow-green and sometimes more yellow-orange for 0. My high pH water reads a cool yellow rather than a warm yellow at 0 (but it doesn't look greenish). As far as pH, yours is 8.2. The kits are set up to test either higher or lower pH up to 7.6 (which would be blue if that number or higher). Since yours shows blue on the lower test, you always test with the higher and use that number only--which is 8.2. I have three tanks, all planted and thriving, and all city tap water of ph 8.2--sometimes 8.4 during certain winter months (I have no idea why that is). The pH scale is logarithmic (look it up, you'll be surprised) and that means that unless you add massive amounts of RO or DI water, your pH won't change much. I used to use 50% DI water and my pH only reduced to 8.0, but my carbonates (total dissolved solids/hardness) did drop a great deal. Since the local aquarists said to leave it alone, I have and have not had any problems since switching to just treated tap water. My tanks contain lots of South American fishes, corys, etc. which are healthy, and all of my tanks contain living plants. Don't fight what you have to work with, unless you have unlimited reserves of RO water around. It isn't worth the hassle unless you are breeding soft water fishes or keeping highly sensitive ones like discus. As far as the brown algae/diatoms, it does take longer to clear up in very hard water like ours. A few snails will take care of the problem of that.

Back
Top Bottom