water salinity for puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

something_fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I just aquired 2 dwarf puffers and 2 green spotted puffers. I have them in the same 20 gallon tank with lots of plants and caves. The salinity is a little over 1.000 (roughly 1 tsp per gallon). They seem to be doing allright and happy. I am feeding them frozen bloodworms and shrimp pellets. They are all under 1 inch as of yet and I do plan to put them in my bigger tank as they grow. I understand that their teeth continue to grow unless they eat hard things, can anyone give me some ideas of what kind of food to feed these little guys.
Thanks

Chris

Hi something_fishy,

Food : Live is preferred. Frozen brine shrimp or blood worms are suitable. Most puffers will accept freeze dried bloodworms or the like. In the wild they eat crustaceans and snails. Supplementing the puffers with snails or live ghost shrimp is a very good idea. Their teeth are developed for chewing threw snail shell, and their are reports of people having to trim the teeth of their puffers which are not fed hard foods.

I did a quick GOOGLE search on "spotted green puffer", there is tons of great information on the web.

I hope this helps.

ALso I suggest checking our your library or they might still be on news stands is the Nov or Dec issue of AFM.

They had a nice article on freshwater puffers.

Back
Top Bottom