Water smells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjones376

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I have a 55gal tank just did a wc on sat and cleaned one of the filters put new carbon in and now the water smells bad I have 2 sunsun 303b's I have purigen in one and 2 lbs carbon in the other any suggestions? Oh and my wc was 20 gal

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't use carbon but have you checked your parameters, and what is your substrate?

Smells like what?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Parameters check out ok I'm using ps for substrate and the smell idk guess I'd have to say a mix of swamp water and dead fish

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well the heavy organic/ swampy smell is actually a good thing believe it or not. It's the sign of a healthy tank. The dead fish smell is not so good. Chances are there is in fact a dead fish in there stinking up the joint.. move decor and get in there for a good clean I guess.. couple extra water changes wouldn't hurt either.

Well the heavy organic/ swampy smell is actually a good thing believe it or not. It's the sign of a healthy tank. The dead fish smell is not so good. Chances are there is in fact a dead fish in there stinking up the joint.. move decor and get in there for a good clean I guess.. couple extra water changes wouldn't hurt either.

Only you, Brookster, would say "a dead fish in there stinking up the joint"!!! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Less is more!

I used carbon for a while in the early days, you don't REALLY need it, almost any benefit of carbon can be achieved by a water change.

When you do use it I can't think why you'd need so much! The highest dose I can find for a 50 g is 250 ml (approx 1/4 of your current amount)
2.2 lb = 1kg (carbon is safe enough in use and we can assume 1gram=1ml)
Really somewhere around 125ml is where you should be aiming at maximum

I only use carbon after meds and even then I don't use it all the time, in fact it's hardly ever nowadays.

Carbon needs a prefilter, like filter floss, normally I use it in the last compartment which is split with another tray into halves (so about 1/12 filter capacity). To make most use of it, it needs the cleanest water possible, this will make it last longer before clogging, a degraded ability over optimal function.

From memory 1:1 is effective, so 55grams, I seem to recall using only 150-200gram in my big tank which is around 200gal that's about a fifth of your current level. (It was 1000/6 in the end, 1kg per year@8 week intervals)
Change for new every 6-8 weeks (depends on stocking and water cond.) carbon doesn't last indefinitely and needs to be replaced, so using as little as possible works out cheaper long term and you're pretty much guaranteed to be discarding only used product. The other benefit of using less is a greater GPH from your canister. I'm sure there is more on this. . . .

The best use of carbon is removal of meds on a quick QT cycle. (My opinion)
Carbon is really good at this!

I agree with the Big B, only bacon smells like bacon. (y)
Somewhere perhaps there is a dead fish! :(

A slight riverine smell is normal, after all a river/lake is what we are trying to emulate! Sometimes if it's a bit strong it often means the filter needs attention, the floss element is usually what needs replacing. (Always the floss first, rinse the rest while the top is off, a standard filter clean)
Reduce filter interim time to fix issue.

Back
Top Bottom