Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Water Temp

Hello,

So I have a ten gallon tank with a heater set at 78 degrees for my glofish. It's been hot the past couple of days however and my water temp has rises to 90 degrees. All ten of my ghost shrimp have died and I'm worried for my fish. I have two fans on them, but it's just so hot. My air conditioning is broken, is there anything I can do? Will they be okay?

Thanks,
Hannah

Old 05-19-2017, 09:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

What do you do water changes with? If your tap water is OK for them, I would try to do small water changes with water that isn't too much of a change in temp. If it's 90, I would do a 20% water change with say maybe 80 degree water once every hour of two. Shocking them is a concern we need to account for when changing two too fast, but tetras/danios/glofish are pretty tough.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah02 View Post
Hello,

So I have a ten gallon tank with a heater set at 78 degrees for my glofish. It's been hot the past couple of days however and my water temp has rises to 90 degrees. All ten of my ghost shrimp have died and I'm worried for my fish. I have two fans on them, but it's just so hot. My air conditioning is broken, is there anything I can do? Will they be okay?

Thanks,
Hannah
Also, what are your parameters? When water temp increases, it's my understanding that ph rises as well, and that's another factor we need to mind. How many glofish do you have?
Old 05-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yeah, I use tap water with conditioner added. And my pH has risen a bit from 6.8 to 7.2. Also, I have five glofish (tetras).
Old 05-19-2017, 09:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can also float frozen water bottles in the tank but it's time consuming as you have to constantly have a frozen bottle on hand, also if your lids fit super tight you will have to open the lid a crack to let the heat out as the fan is cooling the water but the heat has no where to go as the lids are sealing it in, there are tank coolers/chillers but are quite expensive you can Google them if that's the route you want to take.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If the lights are on turn them off.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I like the frozen bottles thing, I suppose the heater would work to prevent the temp from getting too low, so that would definitely save some time. I also don't know if I would replace that many ghost shrimp in the tank, I believe 5 Tetra would pretty much be the max for that size unless your filter is better than most stock ones. Maybe just go with 3 or 4 if you want them.

Tags
ate, water, water temp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com