Water temp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosk1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
While I'm waiting for my tank to cycle... I've noticed that the cheap heater than came with my tank setup isn't the best in the world. I've been messing with it for the last week or so. At the "78" setting, I noticed it kept the tank at about 76. When I turn it up one notch, the temp stays at about 81. I can't seem to get it in between. Probably the best solution would be to buy a better heater, but I don't want to do that just yet unless it is necessary. So which is better, slighly cooler than my fish will prefer, or slightly warmer? (see my sig for the fish I plan to keep)

This just dawned on me as I was typing this. My thermometer is the cheap, stick on the outside of the glass type, so external temperature could be influencing the reading somewhat. Should I go with an internal thermometer, or am I just obsessing?

You are completly justified in obsessing over it. :D Yes, get a different thermometer. The stick on glass ones measure the temp of the glass and the air around the tank effects the reading. The internal thermometers are better, but the digital is even better. The digital ones are about $6 from Big Al's. What is the wattage for the heater? You'll need about 5 wpg.

I recently switched all my tanks to digital thermometers as I was having trouble with all my thermometers which were at best, close. The glass ones with the suction cup are difficult to read, the on the glass stick on ones were way out to lunch.

What I use is actually a drop in therm. that is used in swimming pools. Never had a problem with a accurate reading from it. Course not everyone wants one of those stuck in their tank, but its worth a shot, seeing as how it is completely submurged in the tank water, nothing outside will affect what it shows.

Back
Top Bottom