Water temp in the tank during winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopeGR

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon with mollies and guppies. I have the tank temp set at 76 degrees. The tank is in a room that gets a bit chilly during the winter, roughly around 67 -68 degrees. Some days depending on how cold the day is, it can get drafty.

So my question is, do I raise the temperature of the tank? Will the heater always kick on if I don't raise it? I believe ideally anything ranging between 68 -78 is acceptable, but I do have fry and fish carrying fry too. What do you suggest?

Most heaters have a thermostat that turns on the heater when the water temp drops below the set temperature and turns it off again when it reaches that temperature. The room temperature shouldn't affect that operation.

The only issue might be that in a colder room the temperature difference between your tank and the room is greater and your heater might not be powerful to raise the temperature by that greater degree.

This is a useful guide on how much wattage a heater needs to raise the temperature by 5, 10 and 15f for various size tanks. Based on this you need a 100w heater. 20201127_220119.jpg

Good info above. I would suggest that if you do buy a heater buy one with a heater controller built in. If not then buy a separate heater controller for the new heater itself.

Most heaters have a thermostat that turns on the heater when the water temp drops below the set temperature and turns it off again when it reaches that temperature. The room temperature shouldn't affect that operation.

The only issue might be that in a colder room the temperature difference between your tank and the room is greater and your heater might not be powerful to raise the temperature by that greater degree.

This is a useful guide on how much wattage a heater needs to raise the temperature by 5, 10 and 15f for various size tanks. Based on this you need a 100w heater. View attachment 318761

Thanks for the info. Actually I had the guide you indicated at the petstore and went with it. I have the right size heater - 100 watt - and learned the hard way because when I upgraded to the 20 gallon from the 10, I used the 50 watt heater that said 'up to 20 gallons' and it never turned off. It over worked itself which eliminated some oxygen and killed some fish. So I upgraded to the correct size, 100 watt, and even bought an air stone for back up.

So I am fine at 76 degrees then?

I also keep at 76 in winter.

I have found that heater quality varies tremendously and that quality doesn't always correspond with price. I have bought several heaters within the past year and ended up unable to use a couple of them because they could not handle the size tank they were advertised to handle. Another that was able to handle the tank at a normal temperature could not raise the temperature enough to do a heat treatment for ich.

I've had good luck recently with Orlushy heaters, which are inexpensive but so far seem to heat well and have reliable thermostats.

I also keep at 76 in winter.

I have found that heater quality varies tremendously and that quality doesn't always correspond with price. I have bought several heaters within the past year and ended up unable to use a couple of them because they could not handle the size tank they were advertised to handle. Another that was able to handle the tank at a normal temperature could not raise the temperature enough to do a heat treatment for ich.

I've had good luck recently with Orlushy heaters, which are inexpensive but so far seem to heat well and have reliable thermostats.

I bought this heater https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SNU1I2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far it works. Temps is 76.5 or so...

Back
Top Bottom