Water temperature?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jam4lyf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've read conflicting reports on-line...I trust you all more than anything:)

Setting up a 39 gallon for my one and only beautiful Oranda...WHAT IS THE IDEAL TEMPERATURE for him? I've read they like the water a little warmer than other goldies, and I really want to make his new home competely comfortable for him.

He is the only fish that will be in this tank...he is currently in a 10 gallon which he has more than outgrown. He seems content and happy all by himself, and his wen has grown over his eyes so much he probably doesn't see so well.

Thanks, in advance, for your help :fish2:

Orandas are more finicky about water parameters than temp. They like their water super clean, so getting the 39 is great.

As for temp, they are sub-tropical, so really like to be in temp in at least the low 70's. They are fine up to mid & high 70's, and even higher if there is good aeration. <My tank goes up to the 80's in summer.>

I keep my tank at 74, but I certainly don't cool my tank down in summer, so that is a temp floor. It is not so much the exact temp, but rather lack of temp swing that is important. Fancy goldfish get stressed when there is a swing of more than a couple of degrees a day. So I keep my heater on all year so there is no big temp dips at night, but I don't stress too much with seasonal changes in temp (since that is gradual.)

BTW - It is possible to trim overgrowth wen in Orandas if it is interfering with sight & feeding. However, unless you are a medical type, this is prob best done by a vet.
Wen Trim Surgery

Back
Top Bottom