water temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mk1tom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, when doing a weekly water change on my tropical tank how is the best way to put same temperature water back in ? mix cold water with boiled water out of kettle , dont really want to let water stand until room temp, so what is best way ? Many thanks in advance Tommy:fish2:

i don't have to boil my water to heat it. I have something called a water heater and it works for all the water in my house. It heats my water so that I can choose hot or cold water or a mix of the two right out of the tap. I fill up my bucket with warm water out of the tap that is the same temperature as the water in the tank I am replacing. I suggest looking into these water heater devices. They will also allow you to have a warm water shower and not have to fill a tub with a mix of boiled water and cold water to achieve a comfortable bath.

Ouch, although severely sarcastic, your response made me chuckle.
To the OP, I usually use a meat thermometer to make sure the blend of tap water is within a couple of degrees of the tank's.

that sounds like a "combi boiler" which i have in my house would there be any trouble with using the hot water out of this other than boiled kettle water ?

that sounds like a "combi boiler" which i have in my house would there be any trouble with using the hot water out of this other than boiled kettle water ?

Ahh. At least you do have hot running water. I don't think there would be any issue using your combi boiler. I'm assuming its lik a point-of-use water heater?

Most houses in the US have whole house water heaters. Mine is 75 gallons and keeps water in the tank at a pre-set temperature (130 degrees) for immediate use. gas water heater - Google Search

I wouldn't use tap water. I don't heat my water up. I siphon old water out and siphon the water I'm using to replace it straight in to the tank. I buy my water premixed at my LFS so it's room temperature when I do my changes.

I use my hand/finger to get the water temp as close to 'normal' as possible. A degree or two off isn't that big of a deal. Anything outside of 5 degreese may shock your fish.

Tap water can be made safe by using seachem prime or similar to neutralize the chlorine in municipal water supplies. It's what most aquarists on here use, with good results. What is a combi-boiler?

Back
Top Bottom