Water temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyetexa2001

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok i have a question. I have a 10 gallon aquarium and the temperature is a constant 86 and above all day long with out the incandescent bulbs on. I am wondering if that could be a problem. I know for for sure my goldfish doesn't like it because they prefer cold temperatures. I dont know what to do to keep the temperature lower. I mean i dont want to have to buy one of those chillers because they cost alot. Is there any way to keep the temperature cooler. I am wondering if ice would work or maybe a bottle with frozen water inside and just keep replacing them as they melt . if i throw in ice the water will rise so its not gonna work. I would really appreciate it if someone would help me find a solution thank you. Good bye Laughing

Oh and i almost forgot i bought one of those water testing kits. well its not actually a kit is a 5 tests in one strip they are very good but theyre arent too too easy to read if the colors dont exactly match. Here are my results from today

1.nitrate 20 ppm
2.nitrite .5 ppm
3.hardness 75 ppm
4.alkaline 100 ppm
5.ph 7.5 7.6 I would like to buy the chemicals to lower and increase the setting do you guys think its worth it thank you bye

Don't start messing with the water. Your pH is fine your nitrates are fine although they could be lowere. Your nitrite should be 0, so I think you should do a water change to lower that. I would do a change of about 50%. A 2 litre soda bottle, with frozen water will help to cool the tank, maybe too well. Try a smaller bottle and see if you can get it down a little.

What sort of thermometer are you using to measure tank temperature? You are correct that 86ºF is too high.....about 10ºF too high for tropicals and and a good 15ºF-20ºF for goldfish....you may need to consider moving your tank to a cooler location....just whereabouts is it now located?

My aquarium is located in my room. and my room is on the side where the sun hits in the morning. but it doesnt hit the aquarium. It wouldnt really matter because everywhere in the house is hot. My mom says i have the coolest room .but it can get really hot cuz i like to use the computer with the door closed and the window and everything . So i was thinking about using a little 20 ounce bottle for cooling but then that would be too much waste of space because i would have to lower water because i cant take the hood off scared of fish jumping out. But if i lower water lvl the undergravel filter tube will be out of the water s i dont know what to really do this sucks.

Oh i am using a termometer that hangs off the wall of the aquarium. it was recomended by the petco salesman. He said it was accurate and it was also more expensive than the rest .i used to have an 8$ termometer but i let my friend borrow it and the idiot broke it. I was very great but the petco here didnt have it.

Leaving the top open on the tank and aiming a fan across the top of the water will cool the tank down a bit. You will have to add top off water every day but it does lower the temp safely. Adding a bottle of ice to a tank will probably lead to problems. It is usually suggested to add it to the filter.

The problem with high temp is usually one of lower oxygen. Hot water holds less dissolved gases, epsecially oxygen. Many tropicals can tolertae the lower levels fine and have evolved to do so. Certain cooler water fish like White Clouds, goldfish and trout have evolved to live in cooler conditions with higher oxygen content. Adding the fan will help to increase gas exchange in the tank water and keep the oxygen levels higher.

When I first started keeping fish I bought a 10 gallon kit that sounds very similar to what you have now. It came with an incandescent light in the hood, which used to heat up the water way too much while I had the lights on. I know you said that you are not turning the lights on right now, but my point is that this is a problem that you will continue to have with your lights. The temp will not stay constant even when you have your heater on. My suggestion for your lights is to either buy a 10 gallon fluorescent hood (you can get this pretty cheap) or to buy some CF bulbs for your incandescent hood, which is what I did.

the hood: http://www.thatpetplace.com/Product...Hoods/T1/F53+0302+0002/EDP/1842/Itemdy00.aspx

the bulbs:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=23441;category_id=1845;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

Dump the incandescent light. Walmart (and others i'm sure) sell a compact flourescent that will fit right in. I made the change on my 10gal and temps went from starting at 80 and raising a degree per hour to staying right at 80 all the time.

You still may need to work on your base temp.

I think a 2 liter bottle of frozen water would be a bit too big to put into a 10 gallon tank. Try the same idea with a 1 liter bottle or a 24 ounce bottle.

Ok see the thing is im trying to spend as little money on this aquarium as possibble because if i spend too much money on this i cant buy the 55 gal aquarium starter kit i want for 200 dollars. I just want to buy stuff for this aquarium that i can use in the other aquarium i get. And by the way dont you think 200 dollars is a bit too expensive for an aquarium with just tank ,hang on filter ,an air pump ,no under gravel i think ,and thats pretty much it maybe a few extra things and i think a heater. but dont you think i can get those things new for much cheaper from like little petshops or something because petco is a really rip off place. Pets mart is soo much cheaper but i cant go there because it is 12.3 miles away from my house while petco is 3.5 see the difference? I wanted to order things from petsmart online but u cant find any aquariums bigger than 12 gallons online. I just want your opinion and some help on how to get it cheap. I prefer new over used. because i want it to be nice and so does my mom. Lol but i know for sure for that price i can get much bigger used aquarium. lol
Ok thanks everyone :)

I think im gonna go with the compact flourecent lighting but how many do you think i should get. Do these lights creat enough lighting for a ten gallon or should i just get 2.

hyetexa2001 said:
I think im gonna go with the compact flourecent lighting but how many do you think i should get. Do these lights creat enough lighting for a ten gallon or should i just get 2.

Depends on what output CF you get, and what you need light for in your tank (just for light, for low-light plants, for high-light-requirement plants)....for just light, one will be fine, for a few low-medium light plants, two would be best.

well see i have three plants in the aquarium and two are starting to either get eaten or are dying but most likely eaten. i dont really care for these plants except maybe the one that kis not dying. i think im gonna get two because my mom said its ok to get it. and i want it just incase i get more plants. I love the look of plants but they just seem like too much work and if the water gets stirred plant maerial starts to float around.

And i have another question the other day i bought an undergravel filter and i was told one air pump will be fine but when i got it it was wo pieces and there is a tubing that comes up and it they each need a seperate tubing how come i thought one would be enough. Oh well im going to the petstore right now and ill just buy the things you attach to make two lol forgot what theyre call.
thanks people : )

hyetexa2001 said:
well see i have three plants in the aquarium and two are starting to either get eaten or are dying but most likely eaten.

Thats a problem with goldfish...they eat plants.

And i have another question the other day i bought an undergravel filter and i was told one air pump will be fine but when i got it it was wo pieces and there is a tubing that comes up and it they each need a seperate tubing how come i thought one would be enough. Oh well im going to the petstore right now and ill just buy the things you attach to make two lol forgot what theyre call.

'Gang valves'. Personally, I prefer to run UGFs (assuming I have them at all) off of a pair of powerheads, but that is likely about $40 more than you are looking to spend.

Lol i know the Plant closest to the front of the aquarium. The betta took all the territorry behind the big rock i have bought them it is so cool the goldfish tries to go back there and the betta scares it away but it cant do anything to the goldfish because it is so much bigger than it lol but its funny to watch. But it seems like it stresses out the goldfish but then it just goes on with its buisness looking for food. Oh and what do u think of the water at the moment are the settings good im thinking about taking those fish out and adding like 3 small fish maybe some cory's or something anything that is hardy and can last thru the cycling i mean my water is pretty good at the moment and plus it will not rise alot because i am taking out a goldfish that is like 5 inches in lenght so little fish like that are not gonna be a problem.
Thank you

hyetexa2001 said:
. Oh and what do u think of the water at the moment are the settings good

If you are referring to parameters (ammonia, nitrite, etc), I do not know as you have not supplied any.

im thinking about taking those fish out and adding like 3 small fish maybe some cory's or something anything that is hardy and can last thru the cycling

Well, losing the goldfish is a good idea, but fishless cycling is your best bet. If you are intent on using fish to cycle the tank, danios are a better choice than corys.

i mean my water is pretty good at the moment and plus it will not rise alot because i am taking out a goldfish that is like 5 inches in lenght so little fish like that are not gonna be a problem.

Well, it will all depend on what and how many little fish you put in...5-6 danios (for instance) will not be much less bioload than that single goldfish. Again, I cannot suggest fishless cycling enough...it's more quick and less expense/stress.

Pets mart is soo much cheaper but i cant go there because it is 12.3 miles away from my house while petco is 3.5 see the difference?
No, I don't see the difference. If you have to drive there anyway, what's the big deal about an extra 9 miles?

And by the way dont you think 200 dollars is a bit too expensive for an aquarium with just tank ,hang on filter ,an air pump ,no under gravel i think ,and thats pretty much it maybe a few extra things and i think a heater.
Yes, it's much too expensive for what I would want to pay, especially since I would dump most of the equipment that came with it anyway. My 55 gallon tank with hood and lights was $99.99 at Petsmart. That's a way better deal, considering you would spend just a little more buying the equipment separately (by ordering online) than you would on the $200 combo, and the equipment you would end up with would be much better quality.

I just want to buy stuff for this aquarium that i can use in the other aquarium i get.
I understand, but in the meantime you've got a problem with your lighting that ultimately will result in a dangerous situation for your fish. I got the little CF bulbs I showed you at WalMart I believe, and they were pretty cheap. And they will give you MORE than enough wattage for your plants, whereas the incandescent bulbs will do very little for them. In fact, you'll end up with too much wattage, but your fish won't be suffering because of large temperature swings. In the meantime, I would use the 20 oz. frozen bottle, but if you plan to keep this tank for the long term I would suggest fixing the problem.

as far as cooling the water, how about putting ice cubes in a ziploc baggie and putting that in the tank. Or else cold water in the baggie.

coolchinchilla

Back
Top Bottom