Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2005, 01:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Water temperature temperature

Ok i have a question. I have a 10 gallon aquarium and the temperature is a constant 86 and above all day long with out the incandescent bulbs on. I am wondering if that could be a problem. I know for for sure my goldfish doesn't like it because they prefer cold temperatures. I dont know what to do to keep the temperature lower. I mean i dont want to have to buy one of those chillers because they cost alot. Is there any way to keep the temperature cooler. I am wondering if ice would work or maybe a bottle with frozen water inside and just keep replacing them as they melt . if i throw in ice the water will rise so its not gonna work. I would really appreciate it if someone would help me find a solution thank you. Good bye

Oh and i almost forgot i bought one of those water testing kits. well its not actually a kit is a 5 tests in one strip they are very good but theyre arent too too easy to read if the colors dont exactly match. Here are my results from today

1.nitrate 20 ppm
2.nitrite .5 ppm
3.hardness 75 ppm
4.alkaline 100 ppm
5.ph 7.5 7.6 I would like to buy the chemicals to lower and increase the setting do you guys think its worth it thank you bye

Old 08-08-2005, 04:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you have a heater in there just unplug it the gold fish will be fine even at night.If you dont have a heater the try setting a fan up to blow across the water.Cut the ac on lol.And your better off with the liquid test.And if those readings are correct you tank is now cycled.You need to test for nitrate,nitrite,ammonia. And dont mess with something if its not broke lol leave you ph where it is.You will only do more harm trying to lower it and keep it lowered. Just keep up your water changes.HTH

Old 08-12-2005, 04:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If you don't have a heater then regulate your lights. Make sure that they aren't on all the time. If that doesn't work then do you have it in sunlight? If it is in the sunlight then you need to move it because you will have green water very soon.

54 Gallon Corner-Yellow lab, Albino red fin zebra, Auratus, Blood Parrot, common pleco

30 Gallon-Mollie, 3 Balloon Mollies, Angelic Loach, 2 Kuhli Loaches, angel-ram hybrid, 2 cory cats, tiger clown pleco, Common pleco

2 Gallon-beta
PaulandKeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
I'd just get fluorescent light bulbs... they don't heat the water up as much. May cause algae like sunlight but I haven't had any issues with that in my tank. I have the heater on and everything and my lights only raise it to about 2 or 3 degrees higher than I want.

Tags
temperature, water temperature

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com