Water test kit recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkm0310

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking for a (cheap) water test kit for a planted aquarium. What are the critical parameters (beyond the few parameters that the LFS checks for free:nitrite, nitrates, chlorine, pH, hardness)? Or is that enough?
Any recommendation for specific products?
I'm mostly interested in micro/macro nutrients for my plants as my fish seem quite healthy and the LFS checks are enough to keep the fish happy.

Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, GH, kh, and some test the TDS. I personally have never tested TDs but I think its a kind of pen tester and not a liquid test. Maybe someone who does TDs will chime in. For a recommendation I would say the api master test kit.reasonably priced and will last awhile.

Thanks. That mostly tells me the water parameters are safe for the fish. What about plants nutrients? Or do I just fertilize when I change water and not worry about it?

Sorry I don't know of any test for levels of nutrients. How are you dosing? Liquid or dry ferts?

I've just been puting in a root tab every once in a while.

Tank Water Testing

I'm looking for a (cheap) water test kit for a planted aquarium. What are the critical parameters (beyond the few parameters that the LFS checks for free:nitrite, nitrates, chlorine, pH, hardness)? Or is that enough?
Any recommendation for specific products?
I'm mostly interested in micro/macro nutrients for my plants as my fish seem quite healthy and the LFS checks are enough to keep the fish happy.

Hello mkm...

If your tank has been been running for several months and you're removing and replacing half or more of the water weekly, you don't really need to test the tank water. If you never miss a water change, you know the chemistry is stable and healthy for your fish and plants. If you feel the need to do periodic testing, then Tetra's "EasyStrips" are a good, reliable product. The strips will test the basic 6, like nitrite, nitrate, pH, etc. and the test takes about one minute. Just make sure the product hasn't expired. The cost per test is very minimal.

B

Back
Top Bottom