Water testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sugarloves

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
I recieved a whole bunch of chemicals for an aquarium with the other equipment I got. Maybe you guys could tell me what they are used for.

Bromothymol Blue: I know this is used for testing PH and that I should add a couple of drops to a vile of water, but I didnt recieve a PH chart with the chemical. Is there a good online chart that someone could direct me to?

Sodium Biphosphate: This reduces alkalinity, right? How off should I let the Ph of my water get before I start adding this stuff?

Aqua Brite, Freshwater and Marine Oxidizing Water Clarifier: It says it prevents cloudyness and haze. Do I only use this if my water looks cloudy?

Soft N Clear, Freshwater softening and clarifying specific: What do I use this for, and when?

Also, (this is going to soud so stupid, but hey I have to learn somewhere) How do I check my water for its cycle and what chemicals are used to do this?

Thanks a bunch.

Well, I'm not an expert but I'm thinking the consensus here is going to be not to use any of them! I think a lot of people here like to try to use zero chemicals other than chlorine/chloramine neutralizer. I know that changing the alkalinity or acidity of the water with chemicals causes quick swings in pH which could be more stressful for the fish than the pH simply being off a bit.

I believe the important tests you are going to want for the cycle are ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. I personally am still using dip sticks I got at Wal-Mart (bought 'em, might as well use 'em), but most here would reccommend liquid test kits as being more accurate.

Paul

You truthfully don't need any of those items when you are setting up your tank, and during the life of your tank. Always remember the less chemicals you add to your water the better for everyone in the tank.

As Paul (and future posters will) suggested you should get your hands on a good testing kit from your LFS, I use a the master kit by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. That way you can test your water during your tank's cycle and beyond.

Yep sugarloves, that's going to be the advice. :D . You can take all those things and throw them away. IMO, you should know what your PH is only to be aware of swings. Unless your tap water is very alkaline (8.0 or higher), you can cause more problems trying to adjust it, than living with it.

I agree with throwing the chemicals in the trash.

You can get a real good master test kit from Hagen.
It is pricey but well worth it.
It tests for ten different parameters.

sugarloves said:
Bromothymol Blue: I know this is used for testing PH and that I should add a couple of drops to a vile of water, but I didnt recieve a PH chart with the chemical. Is there a good online chart that someone could direct me to?
This actually needs a specific reply....
because they wil see posts that ask about pH...meaning atest kit should be on hand....
In Your case: Unless you know WHO"s product it is there is no help..though most kits use the same base chemicals..they are differeing in how, amounts and reagents.....
If you don't know what kit it is from , there can be no finding a card match. Also there is no knowing if the product is expired, or contaminated..
Now you know why to ditch it.. :wink: 8)

And the rest...ditch it..... :twisted: 8) It will all cause more heartaches than heartease.

Back
Top Bottom