Water testing an established tank.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After cycling and getting 0 ammonia and nitrite, do you continue testing them or do you only test nitrate moving forward knowing you have bb taking care of the others?

I've been testing all 3 but seems to be a waste since I get zeros every time on the two. Should I only test them once every couple months or if I suspect an isse?

I do it if I have issues. But I also do large water changes weekly. It would also depend on you stocking if it's heavy I would do it once a month.

Daily checks are not necessary once your tank is cycled. Checks once a week (mainly nitrates) can be done but this is up to you & your water change schedule. If you are doing large pwcs (50+%) every week, testing nitrates really isnt even necessary. Anytime something different is done with the tank (new substrate, new fish, etc), i would check to make sure everything stays stable. If there any health issues that arise with your fish, a water check should be done first to rule water quality issues in or out. Happy fishkeeping!

Testing Tank Chemistry

After cycling and getting 0 ammonia and nitrite, do you continue testing them or do you only test nitrate moving forward knowing you have bb taking care of the others?

I've been testing all 3 but seems to be a waste since I get zeros every time on the two. Should I only test them once every couple months or if I suspect an isse?

Hello Craig...

When your tank is fully stocked and ammonia and nitrites maintain a "0" reading, then you only need to test periodically, use your judgement.

I tested the tank chemistry from time to time after my tanks cycled and have done large, weekly water changes for a long time. I no longer test the water in my tanks, because they're heavily planted and I do 60 to 70 percent water changes every week, so I always know the water condtions are stable.

B

Back
Top Bottom