Water turnover for predator tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi. What should my water turnover be for a 300g predator tank? And any pump recommendations?

What size tank are you purchasing?gallons MultiplierStand and floor - should each support:lbs. of weightGravel and heater - tank will require:lbs. of gravelwatt heater neededFilter - should turn over:gallons per hourFish allowance - tank can support:inches of fishLighting - tank will require:watts of light Water changes - tank will require:gallons of water replaced every 2 weeks

not sure about a pump i use a sump pump from a hardware store so you can look into that. i would love to see some pics

Ok thanks I am trying to make filtration the best possible but I don't want to have a pump that makes to much flow for the aquarium, it is being built ATM the stand is almost finished just needs some more supports and it should be completed in the next few weeks :) here is a pic of how far the stand is.

Attachments

• image-3576121827.jpg
    image-3576121827.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 90
Stand and floor - should each support:lbs. of weight 3300
Gravel and heater - tank will require:375lbs. of gravel 1200 watt heater needed
Filter - should turn over:2400gallons per hour
Lighting - tank will require:300 watts of light
Water changes - tank will require:60 gallons of water replaced

that should be about right

Last edited:
Thanks that helped a lot :) and will the lighting be an issue? I will have no live plants as the fish will destroy them but will no light for a couple of months hurt the fish?

Shane87 said:
Ok thanks I am trying to make filtration the best possible but I don't want to have a pump that makes to much flow for the aquarium, it is being built ATM the stand is almost finished just needs some more supports and it should be completed in the next few weeks :) here is a pic of how far the stand is.

Are you sure that's going to be strong enough? I nailed 3 2x4 together for all my corners on a 180 gallon.

Yea it's got a lot more support going on it, I only started it yesterday so haven't had much time, dw I'm gonna make sure it's strong enough lol thanks for all your help I will post pictures of the stages when it's finished :)

I'm just making a better home for the fish I have got. They are

Pearl arowana ( jardini )
2 oscars ( tiger and wild )
Red tail catfish
Tiger shovel nose catfish
Giraffe catfish
Leopard sailfin pleco ( gibbiceps )
Black ghost knife fish ( I already have a home for him when the catfish grow so he doesn't become food )
and I am thinking of adding a fire eel but, would my red tail eat it even when it gets to 4 feet, and maybe an ornate bichir if the get big enough but I got a lot of research to do before I make a decision. And I don't need to hear about how big these fish get I have done all the research and know exactly what I have got myself into lol I am building bigger tanks as they grow and eventually a heated outdoor 3000g for them.

Yea I started out with a 10g Betta tank lol then a 92g community and now this! And yea you will be hearing from their lawyers tomorrow lol

If any part of the eel can fit in its mouth I think it would try to eat it.

Yea that's what I am worried about :/ i will have to see if others have tried and the outcome.

Yea he doesn't seem to be very predatory ATM I mean there are a couple of fish he could probably fit in his mouth and he has never tried so idk :/ a lot of research I think and may be a case of trying it out.

I think I will :) I have always liked fire eels. When the new tanks built and they are settled I will probably get 1, I will keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom