Water type suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DGabbs

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm getting back into the hobby!

Starting with a little 20 gallon and hopefully work my way up from there.

Anyway, i have two options in terms of what water to use. I can use our tap water which comes from our well and goes through a UV filter and softener, or i can use lake water from a relatively clean and clear lake. If i went the lake methode i would send the water through a porous foam mechanical filter and a carbon filter.

I not overly concerned about the water softener, because our well water isn't that hard to begin with, so not very much sodium is exchanged, but just wanted to get some opinions. I have the softener regenerate once a week i believe which is likely overkill for our water. The reason i have it regenerate that often is because i like tot take the sulfur out of the water. Obviously pumping water from the lake would be a pain in the :banghead: but am willing to do it if lake water would be good for fish. The lake water would likely be reasonably soft and acidic which my future fish tank inhabitants prefer.

No, unfortunately there is no softener bypass or i would just do that.

Thanks!

Use the tap lake water no matter how clean and clear will carry some bad micro organisms

Back
Top Bottom