Water under the aquarium stand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

My toddlers tank

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright so after supper tonight we were getting ready to p,ay with the kids and one of the toys went awfully close to going under the stand. When I reached under to get it I felt water slime....:facepalm:

So I removed 50% of the water so I could move the aquarium to clean up the mess.

No visible leaks in the aquarium itself, everything is dry. Except the floor, we had water marks over the wall behind the aquarium so I wrapped the filter top with Saran Wrap about a week ago no new water spots. The cords are all dry.

The bottom of my filter was not sitting parallel to the floor so I wedged a piece of cardboard between the filter and the back of the tank and put a new piece of Saran Wrap over the filter lid.

Plans were to get a new filter at Christmas, I have placed a towel on the floor behind the aquarium under the filter.

This is a nightmare, if anyone has any ideas this would be good I am at a loss. :hide:

I think one way to detect a leak is to wrap the tank with paper towels with marker streaks on them. Then, if the marker starts to run in a certain place, you know that's where the leak is. This is a good way to detect where the small leaks are.

I could try this after I put the kids to bed tonight, nothing to lose. I just ordered my plants and root tabs today :( I really don't want a leak, I can handle the filter but not a problem with the tank itself

Could have simply been an issue of some spilled water from filling the tank or could be residue left over from when the water was splashing out of the filter.

Wy Renegade said:
Could have simply been an issue of some spilled water from filling the tank or could be residue left over from when the water was splashing out of the filter.

What's the best way to prevent this? The Husband likes to help with water changes, but he's not so great with keeping it tidy. Is there something that I can put under it to help keep the water from getting under there or to make cleaning up spilled water easier?

What kind of fish do you have cause I know my cichlids will make a mess sometimes but i do have an open top.

I only have 5 lowlight tetras and 1 male betta in my 20

I am thinking it might have been a spill and my filter likes to splash, I would think that those rubber shoe mats that you put down in the winter to catch melting snow could help but they wouldn't be soo attractive :(

Check your cords - I had a problem with one of my tanks and figured out what I did. I was using a piece of string tied off the side of the tank - hard to explain, but the cord got wet and dripped down the tank. Think reverse siphon type thing - it got wet and actually pulled water out of my tank. So I would look around your tank and see what is in the water that connects to the side of the tank. Check there for drips. Hope this helps!

What's the best way to prevent this? The Husband likes to help with water changes, but he's not so great with keeping it tidy. Is there something that I can put under it to help keep the water from getting under there or to make cleaning up spilled water easier?

Maybe have him wrap a towel around it when he is doing water changes and remove it when finished. Anything you put under the tank that will absorb water is going to hold it and ultimately ruin whatever you have it sitting on.

That was the first thing I checked, I had that happen in the past. It is strange everything was dry, except the puddle underneath, I must have spilled during a water change and did not notice.

Still going to try a new filter to see if that stops the splashes on the wal, they are so unattractive

Back
Top Bottom