Water warm to the touch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fjords93

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a 15 gallon tank that came with a heater and my thermometer says 76, but the water is warm to the touch? My fish were previously in a smaller tank that usually felt cool-cold to the touch. Should I be concerned? Should I unplug the heater or is it better to keep my fish warm?
I know people are going to get after me for being over crowded but I'm doing the best I can with the space and equipment available. My tank currently has
1- albino Pleco
1- black neon tetra
2- white clouds
2- unknown bottom feeders (not plecos)
1- blue mystery snail
4-common feeder Goldie's (needing a new home)
Please do not criticize, I took in all these fish on a rescue as they were left to die.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could it just be the room temperature was different, and made the tank water feel different?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe try to budget a few more 15 gallon tanks in the future. The tetras need to be in groups of 6+ and the other fish need other specific things according to their species. So, get a few more tanks or get rid of them. The temperature issue is almost a no win situation with what you have. Since you have gold fish which are cold water fish and tetras and plecos that are tropical warm water fish around 75 degrees, the two together are just not compatible at all, i'm not downing for accepting the fish and trying to give them a good life, thats a good thing. But, from the looks of it you inherited a bad situation that will only be resolved with spending money on new tanks and equipment or getting rid of most of those fish and picking one species for the tank.

I think the amount if fish is fine. It could also be just you, sometimes I touch my water, and it feels cool, other times its warm.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416796980.403515.jpg these are my mystery bottom feeders, if anyone knows what they are please feel free to let me know :)

Sometimes my tank water feels cold to the touch, other times it feels warm. The temperature on the thermometer reading is always steady, though.

I think it has more to do with your body temp and the room temperature. If I feel cold, I think that is when the water feels warmer, and if I feel warmer, the water feels colder.

If that makes any sense, lol.

Edit, of course this makes getting the temperature right for water changes a little challenging at times!

Either ottos or Pygmy cats

Sometimes my tank water feels cold to the touch, other times it feels warm. The temperature on the thermometer reading is always steady, though.

I think it has more to do with your body temp and the room temperature. If I feel cold, I think that is when the water feels warmer, and if I feel warmer, the water feels colder.
Yep, it has to do with the temperature of your hands. If you are going to try to match water by feel make sure you are going back and forth between the tank an the tap to be safe.

Yep, it has to do with the temperature of your hands. If you are going to try to match water by feel make sure you are going back and forth between the tank an the tap to be safe.

Pretty much what I do, thank you :D

Those are otos, and by the look of it, I think they a golds. Which max at around 2"

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Comparing tank temp with your hand only works if you hand stays the same temp. I personally have a small issue trusting thermometers. When I buy them I always inspect them all. You'll be surprised to see that they aren't all the same temp reading. Buy one that is the same as most others to get the most reliable one.

But yea tanks should be cooler to the touch because your body temp is 98 deg and they are 72-78.

Back
Top Bottom