Waters still cloudy, hazy...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh808

Aquarium Advice Activist
Tested the water several times and all the numbers are spot on, but the water isn't crystal clear as I'd hoped for with the canister filter. The waters moving, circulating well, but I'm wondering if the new black sand from caribsea is the cause and if so, what can I do to clear things up?

How long have you had the tank up and running? Is the tank cycled?

If it isn't cycled and the could/haze looks white in nature, it is most likely a bacteria bloom and it isn't a bad thing. It is an indication that the nitrifying bacteria is multiplying and just need to find a place to colonize (which will ultimately be your filter for the most part.)

If the tank is cycled and you feel it is from the new substrate, adding some carbon to the filter should help clear it up. Eventually a lot of the particles would probably settle back down to the bottom but that may take longer than you desire.

If the cloud/haze is green in nature, its an algae bloom and there are various methods to get rid of algae. So much so that I won't get into all of them until we definitely know that it is that.

A clear picture would help us get an idea of what you are dealing with.

Yes, the cloudy water looks white in nature. If I am looking at the tank front, it's almost acceptable, but down the length of the tank from end to end you can't see to the other end of the tank. So if this is just part of the bacteria cycle, I will be patient. I believe I filled it with water around 3/22/11.
Thanks for the help!!
Scott

Viper said:
Do you have a filter running on it? Also, do you have fish in the tank?

If you do have fish, you better read up on this article or else you may end up with a bunch of dead fish.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html#post983258

If you don't have fish, are you doing a fishless cycle? If so, that cloud should clear itself up on its own.

Yes, the filter is a RENA XP3. I do have fish. 6 convict cichlids, one med Oscar, one lg pleco, two red tail sharks. And I just tested the water again and doesn't look good.
Ammonia is 2.0, PH is 7.6, Alkaline is 80, Hardness is 120, Nitrite is 3.0, Nitrate is 1.0
Scott

Just tested my 30 gal and:
Ammonia is 2.0, PH is 7.6, Alkaline is 80, Hardness is 50, Nitrite is .5, Nitrate is 5
This is an eclipse FW tank with one sm pleco, two small convicts, caribsea black, anubias, driftwood. Temp appears to be 83.
Scott

I would immediately do a water change to attempt to get the Ammonia reading to under .25ppm. It may take multiple water changes. You will then want to keep doing water changes to keep that Ammonia reading under .25ppm.

Viper said:
I would immediately do a water change to attempt to get the Ammonia reading to under .25ppm. It may take multiple water changes. You will then want to keep doing water changes to keep that Ammonia reading under .25ppm.

+1

I would also like to add that you should keep your nitrite level under 0.25ppm. With all the PWC that you'll need to do to lower your ammonia, it will also lower your nitrite.

Once your ammonia level starts going down, you'll experience a nitrite spike. You'd like to keep your nitrite level as I said below 0.25ppm. For nitrate , anything below 40ppm is acceptable. I keep mine between 10-20ppm to be safe. Best of luck!

Still cloudy!!

Aloha,
without reveiwing what I've written previously, I just want to mention that after all this time, my 75 FW is cloudy. White hazy cloudy, not dark murky cloudy and I have never experienced this in all the aquariums I have had. They have always been crystal clear. This is the first time I've had a canister filter though and I am not sure if this might be a contributing factor, but what the ****, worth mentioning.
Maybe I don;t have the right media or don't have the media in the right order or???????????
Sorry to bother you'all with such a trivial question. Just about ready to throw in the towel...
Aloha,
Scott

Have you tested the water recently? It looked like switching substrate/filters threw the tank into a minicycle, so the cloudiness is likely to be a bacteria bloom which is not uncommon in new tanks until everything gets settled.

If you think it's particulate matter then the next steps to take are getting something like micron filtration, or a flocculant like seachems clarity, but they aren't going to help if its a bacterial bloom.

Test

Thanks...I will test the water again and perform a water change. Just did 25% last week and it seemed to get worse. I suppose I could clean the canister filter as well.
Aloha!

Thanks...I will test the water again and perform a water change. Just did 25% last week and it seemed to get worse. I suppose I could clean the canister filter as well.
Aloha!

Are you still getting ammo spikes? If so you really ned to do 50% PWC daily until that's under control and I'd also suggest that you not mess with the filter as that isn't what causes a bacterial bloom and can actually make it worse IME. Daily PWC 3-4 days in a row should clear it up.

Ok, I did the first 50% pwc the next day and oh what a pain up in a PH condo, but anyways...
The water is actually green, not hazy white...
I also removed this one large long leafy plans that got huge just from when I filled my tank. It was actually blocking out the light and making it hard for some fish to navigate in that end of the tank.
Okay, so after the half water change the water clarity seemed to improve, but now, a few days later it's as cloudy as before. A friend or acquaintance at PETCO gave me some live bacteria to add after the PWC. Should I leave it be a few days or a week or???
Haven't done any testing of the water. Looking for a better test kit or kits. All I have are the strips and as I understand, they aren't very accurate.
Anyone have anything to add or want to take a stab at this?
Thanks and Aloha,
Scott

Oh, and one maybe two of my emerald Cory cats has these white patches all over their body like someone with that skin pigment disorder. Sorry, not sure what it's called, but how about that for complicating things. Should I relocate these corys till I can get that under control? Don't really have anywhere to put them except for a bucket.
Scott

I forgot to mention, but yesterday I tested my 75 gal water and here are the results.
Ph-6.4
Alk-0
Hardness-120
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-40
Ammonia-0.25

Back
Top Bottom