Wavemaker in a Freshwater Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been looking at wavemakers online because I'd like to have better circulation in my tank and I think the fish would enjoy it but all of the pictures online are for saltwater tanks.....would a wavemaker be good in my freshwater tank? The tank is medium planted so I wouldn't want it to mess up the plants

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ehh just get a cheap powerhead, find the sweet spot, and call it a day.

SunSun makes like a 900gph for like $13 on Amazon

Caleb

The only problem with wave makers is that they generally put out a lot of water movement to make the waves and it would be difficult to keep the fish from being blown everywhere. Freshwater is recommended up to around 10x the tank volume in flow per hour while salt water tanks are up to around 40x.

So a 20g tank would be 200gph for fresh and 800gph for salt.

I run 2 hydors in my 180g.
I have run as many as 4 before on this tank.
Mine come on during light cycle only.
How much flow depends on fish and how dense your tank is with rocks,plants.....

Bought an aquatop 1800gph circulation pump on sale for $10 for my freshwater 55gallon then put thin sponge filter around the thing to slow it down till my guppies could swim again.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow I didn't get any notifications that you guys had replied...I'm just seeing these now. I bought a SunSun jvp-110 wavemaker, 2.5 watts. My tank is 25 gallons and medium planted so Im hoping this isn't too much movement. It was super cheap so not a big deal if I don't like it. I'm gonna put it in the tank right now and I'll let you guys know how it works

Wow I didn't get any notifications that you guys had replied...I'm just seeing these now. I bought a SunSun jvp-110 wavemaker, 2.5 watts. My tank is 25 gallons and medium planted so Im hoping this isn't too much movement. It was super cheap so not a big deal if I don't like it. I'm gonna put it in the tank right now and I'll let you guys know how it works

That's a 528gph pump. It's going to be too strong.

Yep I just figured that out and was about to comment again....this is the weakest one they have! That sucks. Do you recommend anything better for water circulation?

Yep I just figured that out and was about to comment again....this is the weakest one they have! That sucks. Do you recommend anything better for water circulation?

There are powerheads with lover GPH.

Hydor Koralia is pretty good.

Caleb

Oh yeah I meant that was the weakest wavemaker SunSun has. I think I'm gonna get the Koralia Nano, looks much better for my tank size. I'll let you know how it works out

Ok the Koralia Nano came today and so far I like it. I only turned it on for an hour, didn't want to overwhelm the fish but the rasboras looved it. They love swimming against the current. Thanks for the advice guys!

Ok the Koralia Nano came today and so far I like it. I only turned it on for an hour, didn't want to overwhelm the fish but the rasboras looved it. They love swimming against the current. Thanks for the advice guys!

Great to see its working well!

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom