Wavemakers - where to put them? 220gallon freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pstergiou78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just set up my 220 gallon freshwater. I wanted some advice on where to put the wavemakers? Any advice would be greatly appreciated on the location. IMG_20170618_144349_915.jpg please excuse the bacterial bloom from new tank syndrome and new gravel.

Good looking tank, be on the lookout for ammonia spike. Angels don't do well with ammonia spikes. I am sure you know that though.

Try putting them on the opposite end of your filter intake. I really like that tank though

Ammonia Spike

Thanks for the advice. I will try that! Yes the ammonia did spike to 0.25. I will check again today when home from work. I added some more beneficial bacteria to the tank yesterday. If it is the same or any higher, will have to do a partial water change, until I get it to 0. I kind of expected it. :fish2::fish2::fish2::fish1::fish1::fish1:

I would have put in a cup of your old gravel (literally placing a Solo cup of gravel and have it sitting on top of your new gravel) to jumpstart your cycling process. Just know from experience, just .25 PPM of ammonia caused my GBR to go blind, which is a cichlid, like your angels. With you not doing WC's, you are running a risk with your angels. I just don't want you to experience what I experienced. It feels terrible knowing it was a preventable consequence.

Oh no :( yes I will definitely do a water change!! I would be gutted if I would cause them harm! I'll keep everyone posted on ammonia level tonight! Fingers crossed!

I would have put in a cup of your old gravel (literally placing a Solo cup of gravel and have it sitting on top of your new gravel) to jumpstart your cycling process. Just know from experience, just .25 PPM of ammonia caused my GBR to go blind, which is a cichlid, like your angels. With you not doing WC's, you are running a risk with your angels. I just don't want you to experience what I experienced. It feels terrible knowing it was a preventable consequence.
I actually used all the old gravel from my 125, and most of the water from the old tank.IMG_20170618_144349_910.jpgIMG_20170617_100007.jpg

That will help. Mine cycled in 9 days. If you want to see exactly what happened, click on the link in my signature and I detailed everything that went on. Hopefully you can learn from my mistakes. Buy Prime if you haven't already.

Will go get some prime! I have some water prep stuff, but it's not prime. Hopefully the ammonia will not be high when I get home from work!

Good news! Ammonia is at zero! Very relieved! The bacterial bloom is almost gone too!IMG_20170619_180907.jpg

Keep testing it and make sure it says zero ammonia for one full week. When a tank is trying to establish, you will see a roller coaster of parameter readings. One day, it is zero. And the next .50 PPM.

Back
Top Bottom