Way to many snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blahblahblah

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought one snail about 3 years ago from my local PetSmart store. They said their snails are sterile ( yeah right). Next thing I know I have a bunch of tiny baby snails. The main snail dies and I continue to this day getting new snails. I've picked out by hand over a thousand snails! I've heard of a product I can put in my tank that will kill these things. Can anyone tell me the name of the product and where I can get it PLEASE?!!

Thank you

Snails

I bought one snail about 3 years ago from my local PetSmart store. They said their snails are sterile ( yeah right). Next thing I know I have a bunch of tiny baby snails. The main snail dies and I continue to this day getting new snails. I've picked out by hand over a thousand snails! I've heard of a product I can put in my tank that will kill these things. Can anyone tell me the name of the product and where I can get it PLEASE?!!

Thank you

Hello Blah...

Snails are a good thing. You can't get a better tank cleaner. The problem really isn't the snails. You're feeding too much. The snail population is a good indicator of your feeding routine. Instead of putting a chemical into the tank water, reduce the amount you feed the fish, this will slow snail reproduction and your tank will stay cleaner. You can also use the old lettuce method of removing them. Just drop a lettuce leaf into the tank. The snails will collect on it and you throw it away. This takes time, though.

B

Feed so that less food hits the bottom and doesn't get eaten and the snails will reduce themselves.

I second loaches if you have the room since Assasins can become a pest too once they've killed off the other snails if overfeeding is the cause of the invaaion in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom