WC question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senorkevin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have just finish a super DIY job even if I do say so myself!
I have just managed to connect a tap under the toilet sink so I add add a hose and fill the tank without the need of buckets and breaking my wrist!
My question is when filling up the tank, how should I apply the chlorine neutralizer? Before, during or after filling?

Just before and adding a few drops extra wouldn't hurt. I love my hose as well! Added note...
It wasn't till I started doing massive water changes that my fish started to grow like crazy and look so much better, the hose just makes it so much easier.

Turn filter off during change, treat tank for entire volume, regardless of % water changed.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You don't want untreated tap water running through the beneficial bacteria in your filter and killing them. Turning off the filter gives the dechlorinator a chance to mix with the tap and work.

Just until you've added the new water. The dechlorinator works pretty much instantly; it just needs a chance to mix which will happen as you are adding new water.

It's due to concentrations. The dechlorinator works much faster and completely when it is in a higher concentration. You aren't adding a particular amount of dechlorinator. You are adding a particular concentration, which means you need to use whole tank volume or it won't be as effective.

I don't know what kind of fish you have, but keep in mind too that it will only be cold water coming in (I would think since the toilet only has a cold line), so you won't be able to control the temperature.

I was just thinking of the times I've had to service my toilet tank and my fingers went numb from cold before I got the job done! But I'm in Michigan. Our tap water comes out almost as cold as the fridge year-round.

Back
Top Bottom